Overheading PSU

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Uropa_182, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Uropa_182

Uropa_182 Geek Trainee

Ok, over the lsat few weeks, 1 old PSU has completly blown, my brand new laptop which was been used in my university blew (and is now being repaired by the company bought from), and my current (old) psu is turning the computer off after a while (once its really heated up.

Once the computer turns off, i cant turn it back on, unless i disconnect the PSU from the motherboard and simply plug it back in.

Anyway, both computer power supplys were 250W (but i dont know the laptops). I have orderd a new 350W PSU but wish to tie up any lose ends before i blow that one.

I think the fan has gone on both of them, but i don't think ive ever noticed
    it going in the first place.

Once, when it blew, the room lights flickerd off at the same time (but no other electric goods in the room).

So my question is, Is this a common problem with overheading PSU's, and should a new one fix it.
    Or is likely to be something more serious like a problem with the house's electrics.

Thanks in advance
    Mark Bond

2. Addis

Addis The King

I wouldn't think that its something to do with your house since its only flickered once. It does seem to be the PSUs, but if you're doubting the quality of teh electrics then go somewhere else to test wether the same thing happens.

3. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

If i was you m8 i would get a extention lead with "surge protection" and this will rule that problem of it being your house out, when you get your new power packs just place your hand behind it when its turned in to make sure the fans is working. Another thing to consider is that on some power supplys there are two voltage setting 110 (for the u.s.a) and 240 (for the uk) make sure this is on the correct setting or that will blow your power packs, but don't worry if there isn't a switch they don't all have them just check its for the correct voltage. hope it helps Dave.

4. Addis

Addis The King

Yea surge protectors are a good idea. SurgeMaster are the main firm who do them.