Palm M130 Max SD Card size?

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by manic49er, Jan 4, 2007.

1. manic49er

manic49er Geek Trainee

Hi all,
    Anyone out there know what's the max size SD card a Palm M130 can use? I suspect 64Mb but have not "seen" it spec'd.

Hopefully Thanx,
    manic49er

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

3. manic49er

manic49er Geek Trainee

Yeah, I couldn't find a Max either
    but since the M130 came out in the days of 64Mb being the biggest SD card around I wonder if there is an upper limit?
    As things digital quite often have address size limits, look at how a Pc's Memory was limited in the past and each generation operating system (8 -bit, 16-bit, 32-bit, 64-bit) slowly increased the amount of memory (size) that could be addressed!

4. Karanislove

When XP first came out, it was only supporting 127GB of HDD but now it supports unlimited space if you upgrade it with Service Packs... So is like with your Palm130 as well.. If you go to palmOne - Support - Palm m130 Support and download the the File Manager Update, you would be able to format the card more than 128MB of space ;)

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

That's because that's a software-based thing, if it's hardware based (as in the actual components / CPU etc can only address so-much memory) then it won't recognise anything over it's limit.

However if it is just an OS limitation on the device then you might be able to solve it with an update.

6. manic49er

manic49er Geek Trainee

Ah well, darn, sounds like no one knows if there is an upper limit on addressable memory size in SD cards for use in Palm M13os ;+((

The problem is I thought I had heard it might be 64Mb max but I can't verify that anywhere. And nowadays it's getting hard to find any SD cards <1Mb in stores. Online, the smallest I can easily find (new) is 128Mb but I don't want to waste my money on something that won't work in my Palm but would like to use as big as I can afford but I don't know what max size I can shoot for. AndI don't have anything else that uses SD cards I could use it for instead if was NG for Palm :+(

7. manic49er

manic49er Geek Trainee

I myself size might be limited by the hardware (# of address lines on a chip) and they might have gone small to save room/cost back then when designed SD chips and 64Mb were largest common size.

8. Karanislove

Hey Manic49er, did u really read my post?? Check that link in my previous post again and see what it tells u....It tells u that u can use any size!

9. manic49er

manic49er Geek Trainee

Yeah it says there's a format utility program upgrade so can format greater than 128 Mb so it seems to be inferred can use >128Mb SD cards on M130 but nowhere on M130 specs does it actually say it can address (read) all of it or how much.
    BUT, I had an idea and went onto One Palm site and looked at Palm's SD cards and they say which models can use them! and M130 seems to disappear somewhere between 256Mb (OK) and 1Gb (NG), they didn't list a 512Mb (so unknown). So they either just forgot about the older M130 when newer, bigger cards came out or I can INFER once again! that there IS an upper hardware addressability limit that they don't seem to document directly for some reason.
    So as of right now it looks like 256Mb might be my upper limit.

10. manic49er

manic49er Geek Trainee

And I no longer see in stores anything less than 1GB for SD cards so I'll have to go online/catalog for 256MB (128Mb+ still available at TigerDirect per the other link you gave me earlier). So I better buy some before they totally disappear and get more expensive on EBay as a collectible ;+)