Partitioning my HDD

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by jmpb89, Sep 18, 2008.

1. jmpb89

jmpb89 Geek Trainee

My hdd is only 80GB, i have vista, which seems to take up about 40GB for absolutely no reason! (i've wiped it a couple times, installed vista and before i do a thing 40GB is taken up).

But i've learnt to live with that until i get a new hdd! My real question is...

Is it worth partioning my hdd to 1:1 size ratio so i can install a Linux OS or something??

I've never even seen Linux or Mac! :x:

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Before you do anything, backup your files and repartition (delete current partition and reinstall windows). Losing 40 gigs for nothing is a waste.
    Once you repartition you should have your full 80 gigs (possibly 74).

Now creating two partitions (1:1 = 40:40) wouldn't be a good idea. You can simply boot linux from your linux CD to test it out.
    It might be just me but i've tried Linux Ubuntu and mandriva twice...couldn't stand it. Not to say its a bad O/S thats definitely not what i'm saying, its just hard to get used to and i didn't want to put effort into it. Try what i said linux can be cool and repartition first.

3. jmpb89

jmpb89 Geek Trainee

I don't have a partition! thats just how its done it with the whole 80GB! (75)

And i don't actually have any Linux CDs, i'm just throwing this out there for my planning ahead.

4. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

So you don't see anything like this during a Windows installation?:

[​IMG]

5. jmpb89

jmpb89 Geek Trainee

yeah i do, does that mean i have a partition? how can it be a partition when theres only one? :confused:

6. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

When you get to this screen you should see 2 partitions below, each being 40GB.

Press D to delete BOTH, then press L and your done.
    Once deleted you will now only see 1 partition with "unpartitioned space" which should be 80 or 74 GB.

Now you can install windows. Send me a screenshot of this process if you can.

7. jmpb89

jmpb89 Geek Trainee

No there's just the one, and it says 75GB. how could i send a screenshot? Does print screen work on startup?

8. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

GOOD!
    Thats what we're trying to get at. Now install windows with that partition. It will ask you to format first so select "Format using NTFS (quick)"

You cant print screen but you can take a pic with a digital camera and upload but that seems unnecessary at this point

9. jmpb89

jmpb89 Geek Trainee

I'm sorry i'm REALLY slow on uptake! what are you talking about? :confused:

Could you like put it in like step-by-step sections or something? (haha :unsure:)

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

how are you installing Vista?

• with a genuine or a slipstreamed CD
    • a restoration CD that came with your system?
    i think you need to understand how partitioning works, below is a screenshot of my 2nd HDD (IDE 1, primary slave)

a HDD can have upto 4 primary partitions or upto 3 primary partitions & 1 extended partition (counting graphically from left to right) containing multiple logical partitions

now this HDD is not bootable (as you can see by the lack of a primary partition) as it only has 1 extended partition containing 4 logical partitions &as you can also see there is 620.51 GiB free or unallocated space
    there is also 3.19 GiB of free space at the begining of the extended partition, my filesystem types are all ext3 (on this HDD) because i use linux, as you are using Win2k or above it is best to use NTFS rather than FAT32 just from a security point of view
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Edit: unable to add tags, reported here
    [​IMG]

11. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Alright lets refresh:

Scenario - your hard drive has 80gb of which only 40gb is shown in Windows. So the other 40 is not being used, or, unallocated. Unallocated hard drive space simply means space (in gb) that is set aside, or, reserved. In your case you have 40gb of reserved space which is ridiculous and a waste, hence you posting this post!
    So again this means that you have 2 partitions: one 40gb partition (with Windows installed), and one unallocated, or unpartitioned, 40gb partition.

Our goal - create one, full partition with one operating system installed.
    To do this you must insert your Windows XP disc, restart, and boot up the disc until you get to something like this:setup 1

After the process is done you'll reach this screen:setup 2. Press ENTER to setup Windows XP. Then you'll be prompted to press F8 to accept the license agreement. Read it (because c'mon, who doesn't? :hi:).

Next, you'll see this screen (i edited it):
    [​IMG]

Now you need to delete the first partition; "Partition1", by pressing D. You'll then need to confirm the deletion by hitting enter, and then L. So it's basically a 3 step process (hit D on the first partition, then hit enter, then hit L).

Now that you've deleted "Partition1", your unpartitioned space should be combined with "Partition1" (now unpartitioned as well since we just deleted it), making a new unpartitioned space of 80gb.

Finally, you can now install Windows. Hit enter and you will get to this screen:setup3. Select "Format the partition using the NTFS file system (Quick)".

DONE. This should resolve your problem. Hit us back

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

• the reason i
    asked this:
    @Scorps: Jmpb may be using an OS restoration CD, that came with either the system he's working on of another system with a 40GB HDD, anyway a partition (NTFS) can be resized using Gparted LiveCD

@Scorps: he doesn't have 2 partitions, he has 1 partition & 40GB of free / unallocated space
    @Scorps: why would Jmpb want to use 100% of his HDD if he wants to use or try Linux ?

13. jmpb89

jmpb89 Geek Trainee

1. My Hdd shows that it's full size is 80GB but has 40GB used up off the bat.
    2. I only have 1 memory block used in this Hdd

Here's what i mean;

ImageShack - Hosting :: hddproblemlp8.png

3. This is the one and only section of memory on my HDD and it has 40GB used up straight off the bat!

I think i'm being misunderstood or if i'm not and i'm just being thick i apologise :D

14. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

total HDD space = 75.4GB (from to pic)
    free HDD space = 4.94GB (from to pic)

so, the amount of used HDD space = total HDD space - free HDD space = 70.46GB

so, what's the problem?

you said you had an 80GB HDD (75.4GiB)

BTW: your HDD is getting full

15. jmpb89

jmpb89 Geek Trainee

Yeah i know my HDD is getting full :)

The problem is that when i install vista it seems to take up 40GB! I'm sure thats not right!

EDIT: The installing another OS on a partition was a totally off topic question, maybe i should have left that out

16. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:good:
    yes, you are correct, but could you please answer my previous question (edited slightly)
    well, most people are not serious about Linux, but, personally, i exclusively use Linux 100% of the time

BTW: i thank you for being honest about Linux

17. jmpb89

jmpb89 Geek Trainee

It's a bonified (****ing expensive) genuine windows CD :)

18. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:good:, personally i don't like Windows, try booting Gparted LiveCD & resize any your existing partition to use the entire HDD
    that's another reason to use linux, most OSs are free & so is most software (like Gparted, free)

BTW: you will probably need to change the boot priority of the CD in the BIOS

sorry, i should have read the entire thread:doh:

19. jmpb89

jmpb89 Geek Trainee

So i just;

download
    burn
    boot
    and it will give me options and stuff for sorting it out?

20. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Hm, i had no idea that your Windows actually showed 80Gb.
    What i previously understood was that after a Windows installation your HD was showing 40GB, not 80GB.

But a legit Windows taking up 40GB?! :confused: That's a new one.

Yeah and make sure to burn it as an ISO