Password Protect one page?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Programming' started by Waffle, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I'm building a site for a friend of my mum who runs a dog training class.

She wants a page that can only be accessed by people that go to the class, information like phone numbers, training times etc.

Is there away for a visitor to click a link ie: "Click here to check up on the latest news for our classes", which then leads to a password prompt? which when typed in leads to a "mini site/page" with the required information?

I'm not getting into databases and making people register to access it, but is it possible? Also if it is, could multiple passwords be used - I was thinking that every person's password could be their dogs name for added security?

2. Addis

Addis The King

I don't know of any html-gear like tools on the net that allow username/accounts with different passwords, but the closest I've come across with is bravenet password protect gear. You create a page and then make a 'gateway' page where users type in account/password.

3. Addis

Addis The King

Also if the info on there is just going to be static, nothing that could be of great importance then I think a one universal password would do, but its your choice.

Edit: I've just found that you can get software to do that without any involvement from the user with database/scripting but they're all shareware.

4. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Yeh the info might get updated like once a week, just text, occasionally pictures.

5. Egaladeist

Egaladeist I am the Eg Man

Waffle likes this.
  6. matttibb

matttibb Geek Trainee

Good links eg!

7. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

nice but just looking at the source code will give you thr password, I would suggest php solution, similar to the javascript version but user can't view the password in the source.

check out www.hotscripts.com theres plenty in the php section that will do what you need! I hope it helps.

8. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

True but the only people visiting the site are people interested in pet training classes, whom probably have as much knowledge as their animal. No sensitive data will be placed, but that should do the trick. Will multiple passwords be possible?

Cheers all.

9. Addis

Addis The King

10. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

What ever you do, DO NOT use anything Java based for your password.

You really should use something like PHP/ASP (something that is completely server side), as this way people cannot access the executed code.

Where as if you use a Java based password, you can view the HTML code and find the link to the java file, download it, open it in notepad and the password is listed right then and there :)

11. Addis

Addis The King

But its better than embedding it in the html itself.