PC or a "desktop ultrabook"

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by rocketmatt, Oct 2, 2013.

1. rocketmatt

rocketmatt Geek Trainee

Hello to everyone

Glad to be in this forum, there's quite a lot of info here

I'm a web designer and about to buy new hardware. Right now I'm using a 15" mid-class laptop, but looking for something powerful so it can handle heavy multitasking.
    I'm thinking towards an ultrabook. But, can an ultrabook handle a second screen with a mouse an keyboard (which I would buy too) for using Phosotshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver at the same time? Knowing that it uses ULV processors.
    It has to be a portable device because I need mobility sometimes, and suggested ultrabooks because of their portability goodnesses, but needing some advice, any idea helps :)

Thanks in advance

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Yea! not sure a laptop will handle what you want to do here... I guess a Gaming laptop might work, the problem is you are going to need allot of Memory/ram..
    But a desktop can handle all your needs.. Using Photoshop and Dreamweaver at the same time will use allot of resources up..I think you will need around 16 to 32 gigs of ram..

3. rocketmatt

rocketmatt Geek Trainee

Thanks for your reply!

Hhmm that's a lot of ram haha. Didn't thought about a gaming laptop, but that's a good one, will give it a thought, thanks again!

4. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Multitasking wise laptops have no chance against desktops. I suggest considering small desktop that can be carried around.

Ultrabooks are designed to be thin and lightweight, not to have multitasking power. So I recommend gaming laptop just like Ghostman 1 if it has to be laptop.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I agree. Unless business mandates you take frequent trips, it's hard to recommend a mobile solution like an Ultrabook . I have seen some very robust desktop replacements, but I can't remember the brand. They probably would do the job for mobility, but they weren't Ultrabooks and ran north of $10,000. Basically, they were desktops crammed into suitcases that offered the option of a Xeon chip.