Pc speaker question.

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by killboy, Apr 29, 2006.

1. killboy

killboy Geek Trainee

this might sound like a strange question but i'd like to know if i bought some pc speakers and plugged them into the headphone jack on my tv would they work?

i bought a hd tv yesterday and one of the speakers is dead and am looking for an alternative to sending it back since i no longer trust royal mail.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yes, they'd work.

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i agree b, but plugging in external speakers could automatically disable the speakers on the tv

4. killboy

killboy Geek Trainee

i want the tv's speakers to be disabled since one of them doesn't work anyway.

thanks for the help guys.

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

if plugging in external speakers doesn't disable the tv's speakers you can probably disable the tv speakers via the tv's menu

6. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

If I were you, i'd take the TV back and get a replacement!

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

If it's a standard Stereo Speaker Setup (2 speakers) then plugging them into the TV should be fine. You may have to control them via an extra menu though (usually in the sound section, headphone volume).

8. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

If you have a music system which allows input then you simply need to buy a wire by watching ports on either side and you will get a much better sound with a very little cost.

[ot]
    Sometimes it doesnt work if you have bought a second hand TV and due to these small problems you get it at very good price [/ot]

9. killboy

killboy Geek Trainee

it's not as simple as taking it back since i bought it online and it'll cost alot of money to post it back.

i've already bought some speakers and they sound awesome so thanks for the help everybody.

10. Karanislove

Wat about music system? You can attach it for better sound.

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Some audio systems don't have a phono input and therefore can't have any external devices connected to them. Plus some 'sound systems' just sound plain crap.

12. killboy

killboy Geek Trainee

i'm happy with it the way it is at the moment. i got some with a subwoofer and it makes the games sound amazing.

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

:) glad to hear things are alright, I often run my TV through external speakers / sytem (through my stack stereo system, :D 200 watt quad amplifier)

14. Karanislove

Only small stereo systems doesnt have input provided in it and I believe that a person who is buying a HD DVD should be having a good system.

Depends on your system. If you have a home theatre then you can imagine how sound will be. Think you are watchin a movie on your TV and sound is like a theatre, not just from two small multimedia speakers. How do you feel?

15. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I know, I was just saying even some home theatre systems sound bad compared to some that I've heard (everything sounds bad when you've listened to movies and music through a BOSE sound system, them things is the shizz), I have surround sound in my room, and in my living room and I know it's a lot better - my TV is running through a 200 Watt NAD Amplfier (stereo sound but dual sets of speakers so 200 Watts per speaker)

Now that is loud and the sound is pretty damn schweet.

I understand that some small systems don't have an input but I've seen some larger systems that don't ahve inputs either, granted they were older and most new systems (if not all new systems) will have phono inputs.

16. Karanislove

did you ever used your system with computer? I am using it from last 7 years and believe me, it gives me better sound than playing a CD/DVD on it.
    Reason: I can set the sound with the player which I m using on the computer as well. So long, I am using Winamp with DFX DSP effects.

Only thing you need is [​IMG] this wire. You dont need to buy an extra 5.1 or 7.1 multimedia speakers. Just try once on your BOSE system. You'l love it.

17. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

[ot]I know what I'd have to do - I've studied audio and music tech before, and the BOSE system wasn't mine, it was a friends, I'm not rich enoguh to have a BOSE system...yet...[/ot]

18. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

A good online retailer will pay for the return postage. Where did you buy the TV from?

19. Karanislove

I believe its not a new TV and he bought it from an online auction or somewhere.

20. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Have you discussed this over PM? Nowhere in this thread does it mention an online auction, it mentions that they bought it online, but nowhere does it mention buying it at an auction or 2nd hand (unless I've missed something blindingly obvious)