PC through TV

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by megabytes, Feb 27, 2007.

1. megabytes

megabytes Geek Trainee

Hi guys my dad as asked me is it possible to run your pc through the tv set as i'm not sure so i thought i would ask. Thanks:confused: :confused:

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

most graphics cards have a TV out, its normally a SVideo socket (but can also be used for composite with most cards)

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Like Impy already said, yes. I see many newer TV's with VGA and/or DVI inputs, and S-Video has been around for quite some time. Additionally, some video cards may have a component video output box.

4. sciroccosven

sciroccosven Geek Trainee

I setup my girlfreinds computer just for this purpose. I bought an ati all in wonder 2006 edition that I bought at circuit city.

It has a coax input so you can watch and store television on up to 125 different channels on your computer.

As far as TV output it is simple, on the dvi port there is a composite out for video that you just plug into video1 or video 2. There is also s-video which works in the same manner, just plug it in and run. In order to access it you just put your tv on whichever video channel and you drag the media application to your tv monitor. This can also work with you tube, media player, or you can view missed episodes from abc, nbc, ect. You can also use your computer as a dvd player for your tv.

Sound I have running through the computer speakers, I bought a good 2.1 setup which blows away the tv speakers. If you want to run your sound through you pc speaker you dont have to do anything, just play your media. I have not however bother to configure the sound to be controlled by the tv/audio reciever if you have a home theater but I dont think it is that difficult.

The only downfall to this setup is you have to have the computer close enough to the tv so the s-video or composit cable will reach and you will have to be able to see what you are doing so the computer will have to be in the same room for easy access. A cordless keyboard and mouse setup is advised if you watch missed episodes of lost or heroes as they have ads that force you to click to continue every 10 or 15 minutes.

Its worth the time and money.

Dave