PC won't boot when sound card plugged in

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by roland6546, May 29, 2005.

1. roland6546

roland6546 Geek Trainee

I just built a custom computer and the only thing not working is the sound card. when I plug in the sound card and turn on the computer, it boots up to a certain point (which is only seconds after I turn on the PC - I don't even have enough time to open the BIOS set up) and the PC just freezes and displays "Post Code 6D". When I don't have the sound card in the PC, it boots up fine and everything works as it should.

I've downloaded drivers for my motherboard from the manufacturer's website, and they installed an audio controller(?). i can actually play songs, just not hear them due to lack of sound card.

My instincts tell me that I need to configure the BIOS for my sound card, but I have no idea what the settings should be. My mobo manual doesn't give any suggestions and I lost my sound card documentation ages ago. I sent sound card makers an email, but who knows when they'll get back to me, if ever.

any suggestions?

2. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Hello and welcome to Hardware Forums.

Could you please tell me more details of what hardware you have specifically, for example what brand is the motherboard, the sound card and the BIOS. If you don't have the manuals then you should be able to read the data from the device itself. It would also help to know what OS your using though it looks unlikely that we can blame Windows for this one. :)

There's an online database of BIOS post codes at http://bioscentral.com/ If you know what BIOS your using you can find the info from there as to what the code means.

Probably. My best guess is that there is an IRQ conflict, i.e. there is more than one device using the same IRQ. If it's a PCI sound-card this normally should not be a problem so long as plug-and-play is enabled in the BIOS. Otherwise look at what IRQ's are assigned to see if you get any duplication. The sound-card should have IRQ 5, I think, so if the card is not installed and this IRQ is assigned to another device then that may be the source of your problem. Also, the card itself could be damaged. Have you tried using a different card?

One last question, does the motherboard have an on-board soundcard? If so make sure it's disabled otherwise there could be conflicts between the two cards.

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes.

3. roland6546

roland6546 Geek Trainee

my PC:
    amd athlon 64 3800+ processor
    512MB DDR400 RAM x2
    chaintech S1689 ATX motherboard
    geforce4 ti 4400 graphics card
    hercules digifire 7.1 sound card
    the on board sound card is a realtek AC'97
    running windows xp pro

i dont have another sound card to try

i've disabled the onboard sound card, but my PC still won't boot with my digifire plugged in.

4. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Have a look at what BIOS you have and look up the link I gave above. Also, did you check in the BIOS for hardware conflicts?

5. roland6546

roland6546 Geek Trainee

the page you linked to doesn't have my BIOS listed. i found the BIOS's web site and sent them an email.

i dont understand checking the BIOS for hardware conflicts. the BIOS isn't a diagnostic tool. although it doesn't matter because i have to take out the sound card in order to boot up the computer....so the conflict isn't there when i get to the BIOS in the first place.

6. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

a bios, basic input/output system, post=power on self test. If you can't boot, try resetting your BIOS, and refering to your manual on how to set it up.

what power supply do you have.
    also try the sound card in different pci slots.