pc wont power up

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by stewy81, Oct 10, 2003.

1. stewy81

stewy81 Guest

my pc wont power up, all i get is the cpu fan half a spin, and nothing else moves or starts

tried switching out power supplies, didnt change it, did the same thing,

here are the details,

i installed a new mb, new graphics card, and my old duron 820mhz cpu,

chaintech 7AIA5 VIA KT 133 CHIPSET (NEW)

AMD DURON 850 MHZ CPU

256 MB DIMM OF PC 100/133 IN SLOT 1 (NEW) KINGSTON

ATI RADEON 9000 64MB AGP CARD (NEW)

SOUND BLASTER LIVE PCI AUDIO

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Did you try hitting the power button again? If that doesn't work, try removing everything but the CPU(and heatsink), RAM, and video card.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Make sure the CMOS Clear jumper on the mainboard isn't closed. Some motherboards come that way.

4. Cruzado_Mainfrm

Cruzado_Mainfrm Geek Trainee

well i dunno too much about hardware but can that be a shortcircuit and the comp is shutting off instantly? that happened to me before

5. Andy2004

Andy2004 Geek Trainee

Mine was shorting but wasnt turning off, good stupidity from my computer there.
    had to replace the motherboard.

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Yeah, it could be a grounding problem, or a bad lead on the motherboard. In the case of the former, remove the mainboard from the chassis and see if you can find any points that are contacting the chassis that shouldn't be. In the case of the latter, it's time to invest in a new mainboard. :swt:

7. Andy2004

Andy2004 Geek Trainee

Deffinately sounds like a short. I had one of the brass standoffs 1cm out of place, and it totally fried part of the board, oh dear oh dear. Maybe its something like that?

8. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

you should always put washers on the standoffs before installing your motherboard, that way you make sure that it doesn'T touch the case.

You can glue them by applying a tiny drop of krazy glue on the washer, then you put the washer on the standoff and you wait like 5 minutes (not even).

Some say it's dangerous, but I've always done it and I have never had that kind of problem.

Be carefull not to put any on your fingers though, because it dries and it stays !