PCI-EX x1 x4 x16 How can I know what I got?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Wayne Bond, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Wayne Bond

Wayne Bond Geek Trainee

First, I'm not sure if this is more Motherboard relevant or TV Tuner so feel free to move into correct area.

I have a MSI P35 Neo3 MB and I want to put this HD TV Tuner in my PC.

I have been reading reviews and one guy says that he "originally plugged the capture card in the x1 PCI-e slot" and that he was having issues running 720i HD video and it was stuttering. But after putting it in the x4 slot and it was perfect even at 1080i and now he has it in a x16 slot.

I have googled for so long and can't understand what slots I have! I have linked to my MB specs page there up top but I am unsure if I have a PCI-e x16 slot and how many I have. Will my MB be able to deal with the Capture Card when I plug my 1080i video cam into to record?

I know one of the slots is occupied right now by my video card GeForce 8800 GT and I guess that for sure needs a PCI-e x16 slot right?

2. tking0036

tking0036 Geek

The easiest way to tell is to look at the board:
    [​IMG]
    as you can see the 16x is longer than the 8x the 8x is longer than the 4x and the 4x is longer than the 1x

3. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hi,

According to the link you provided to the specs of the motherboard, you have 1 pcie x16 slot which is the one closest to the processor in the picture. It is the longest slot. The very short slot right below that one is the pci ex 1 slot. Then the 4 slots below that which are all the same size are the older pci slots. Those were the standard expansion slots for several years before they started coming out with PCIexpress slots.

Your video card is using the pcie x16 slot, so the only other slots you have available would be (1) pcie x1 slot and (4) pci slots (these are not pci express slots).

According to the specs I found for the card you are looking at on newegg, the card needs a pcie x1 slot which your motherboard has so you should be able to use it. Just make sure that your current video card is not blocking the pcie 1x slot on your motherboard.

This is the link to the card on newegg which gives more technical details than the amazon one, just in case you wanted to check it out :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100049