PCLinux 2007

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by athomas, Sep 19, 2008.

1. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee

I am having permissions problems with pclinux 07. When I am logged in with my account (not root) however I gave my account root permissions, I cannot copy anything into var/www/html, says permission denied. Anything I should check on?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

How do you mean "root permissions"? Unix-like systems handle permissions differently than you're used to with Windows where admin means running everything with a dangerous amount of privileges full-time. Perhaps you're talking about 'sudo' rights to run any command as root? Try the following:

Code:
    sudo -l
    *That's a lowercase "L" by the way

That command will list the commands you're allowed to run via sudo, and If it displays something like the following:
    Code:
    User athomas may run the following commands on this host:
        (ALL) ALL
    ...then more than likely, you have an Ubuntu/OS X style permissions scheme. You are not root per se, though you have the ability to get root privileges. Just prepend a 'sudo' command before whatever operation you're trying to run and you'll run it as root rather than with your normal user privileges. If you'd prefer a full-time root shell, you can get root as an "admin" user by doing the following:
    Code:
    sudo su -

3. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee

Yeah basically that is what I want to accomplish. However even under root, I don't have modify permissions to this directory.

4. Anti-Trend

So you're running something like this?
    Code:
    sudo cp [I][COLOR="Gray"]/path/to/file[/COLOR][/I] /var/www/html/

5. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee

No, I haven't changed anything from defaults. I've never had this issue before. So I should just run the sudo command?

6. Anti-Trend

I'm not sure which "defaults" you're talking about. But basically if you don't have R/W permissions in that directory as your user account, you will have to run sudo first in order to elevate your permissions to root for that operation (as illustrated above).