PDA's...what's good.

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Big B, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Okay, folks, I'm looking for a decent PDA. One thing I want is something with a good battery life on it and will probably go with a Lithium-Ion one. 2nd thing I need available to me is some sort of street and map program since I'm planning on using this for work and I will be travelling around. I also want something that synchronzation thing works (my Palm VIIx never did).

Price isn't critical, but I'd obviously not like to spend gobs of cash on something.
    OS isn't a big deal, but I am kinda leaning toward something with Pocket PC on it over the Palm OS.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Sony Clie PEG-SJ22 is a good PDA for the needs you've described. Its plusses include low cost (about $100), a high-resolution / high-color display, and PalmOS4 for high software compatibility. Also, since it's Sony, the Clie utilizes Sony's "Memory Stick"(tm). They're fast and inexpensive, so you can turn this little silver thing into a data powerhouse. As far as integration and syncronization goes, the included 'PALM Desktop' software works just fine in Windows to syncronize conduits for software installs, Outlook data-sync, etc. For Linux I had no problem getting my Clie to talk with KPilot or GnomePilot. The Clie also gets very good battery life; I can push mine as hard as I can for about 8 hours of battery life. If you're using it more reasonably you can go about 36 hours before you have to charge it (via USB).

Of course, it wouldn't be fair if I didn't mention the negatives. The Clie's sound system resembles the old Adlib sound cards -- sine waves only. If you plan on using the Clie for MP3s and movies, better spring for a higher-priced PDA. It costs another $100 for the MP3 "module", which is a horribly ungainly dongle. Also, the Clie isn't exactly overpowered, using an ARM~33MHz processor. It's fine for most things; I play GameBoy ROMS just fine with mine using Phoinix, and I've had no problems with other games and apps either. But If you're using your PDA to do serious multimedia, you'd do well to aim a little higher.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've gotten a few recommendations regarding the HP iPAQ h2215. I'm also looking at Dell's Axim's, but they're pretty lean on their info.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

If you want a high-end PDA, look at Palm's Tungsten T3. It's an awesome toy; powerful (400MHz Intel), and it has a display that actually stretches and can be rotated sideways for a "widescreen" format.

5. syngod

syngod Moderator

BigB the Dell Axim's are a really nice system, especially for the cost. Ironically I just replaced the Sony Clie PEG-SJ22's in my company for Axim's.

Plus when it comes to mapping software all the software I've tried can't even compare to MS's and the integration it offers.