Perpetual New Music Thread

Discussion in 'Concert Hall' started by Anti-Trend, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Use this thread to introduce others to new music they may not have heard before! Underground, sub-pop kinda stuff is probably most appropriate, since we are all exposed to popular music every day.

My latest find is a relatively unknown jazz/funk/hip-hop/bebop band called Metropolitan Jazz Affair. Very tasty stuff, highly recommended! Well, their instrumental stuff anyway. :)

2. shocktherapy

shocktherapy Geek Trainee

www.myspace.com/shock_therapy...the background music is my cousins band a mauve kenetic...they are unsigned and independent...and the lyrics are brilliant..(at least i think they are) also check out:

sorta mainstream

mars volta
    calico system
    at the drive in
    thursday

if you like em pm me and i'll tell ya about some more...

3. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

4. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

http://www.myspace.com/shock_therapy (i think that's what he meant)
    I've gotten into a lot of metal recently. Mostly death/power metal.

Ajattara, Into Eternity, Necrophagist, Ensiferum, Quo Vadis, Sonata Arctica, Cult Of Luna, Zyklon, Pig Destroyer, Dying Fetus, Deicide, Napalm Death. Just to name a few.

DragonForce is the best power metal I've heard to date. All the music has been inspired by video games.

I've started listening to Beck and Air as well. Deep Forest have been on the low burner due to lack of songs I have. Albinoni has been on a few of my playlists.

James Brown, Tower of Power, Otis Redding, and Aretha Franklin make a good combo if you're not into metal or the "stab me rip stab, stab " kind of stuff.

For nerdcore, MC Chris, MC Frontalot, MC Hawking, YTcracker are the leaders.

for J-Pop, I like Robotnicka and Ayumi Hamasaki.

WWR has told me about Nightwish, Demons & Wizards, and Rhapsody (which all pretty much are fantasy metal)

5. shocktherapy

shocktherapy Geek Trainee

6. Anti-Trend

Drop Trio

"Drop Trio is a melody-driven funk jazz band from Houston, Texas. Their solid musicianship and incredible energy on stage have been drawing kudos across Houston and beyond."

Great band, great grooves, worth a listen (you can stream their entire album ~128kbps for free).

7. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

If you hear and like Demons & Wizards you should also check out Iced Earth and Blind Guardian. Those two bands became D&W kinda like RATM and Soundgarden became Audioslave.

Also, for a bit of Weird Al style music, look up Turbonegro, they're kinda like a Norwegian metal version of Weird Al, very funny guys.

8. Anti-Trend

Young Jazz Giants

"…blazing young saxophonist Kamasi Washington and his Young Jazz Giants (winners of the 1999 John Coltrane Music Competition) stirred up a frighteningly good replica of a mid-1960s Coltrane freak-out." -- Variety

Very, very good bebop/jazz band. Do yourself a favor and buy all their albums. :) Free song in MP3 format here -- check 'em out.

9. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

"Press Play On Tape"

If you like all the old game themes you should check these guys out, they do game themes and they do them well, my favourite has to be the Monkey Island one, simply amazing.

www.pressplayontape.com

10. Anti-Trend

Minibosses

Another game soundtrack cover band -- these guys play the NES tunes we all remember so fondly. Very talented group! Site contains some free MP3s and videos.

11. Anti-Trend

Kaya Project

Kaya Project

Review from the site:
    '"...A downtempo fusion of cuttingedge beats, organic electronica and diverse sounds and vocals from Hawaii, India, the Middle East and Europe. Kaya Project is the latest musical incarnation from Seb Taylor, who has released as Shakta, Digitalis and is also a co-founder of Angel Tears."

You can listen to the tracks for free in an embedded java player. Extremely good music to chill out to.

12. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Blood Red Throne

Three words to describe the genre of this music: Brutal Death Metal

These guys are an amazing band and I think they're really good, ok so you can't understand a word of what they're singing but the music is amazing, REAL fast headbanging stuff.

13. Anti-Trend

Electric Frankenstein

Electric Frankenstein

[​IMG]

"EF aren't young or pretty, and in case you haven't noticed neither is Real Rock & Roll. EF aren't here to be your girlfriend, they're here to ROCK! While stupid critics might say 'but, it's only rock n roll, its nothing new', EF fans are saying 'Damn, right!' as they embrace the best of what's loud, fast, and rules from the last 30 years distilled down to one single organism. EF are one a mission to revitalize Rock & Roll and save people from the boredom of 'alternative music'."

An old-school punk rock band from NYC, these guys have been laying it down for like 13 years now. Since they're on the Mangatune record lable now, you can stream all of their albums at 128kbps for free in their entirety. I recommend the album "Conquers the World".

14. woodmaster

woodmaster Geek Trainee

I've recently been listening to My chemical romance the black parade, its ffffing amazing I've been listening to it about twice a day during the holliday period I'm 37 for gods sake I thought I'd stoped doing that sort of thing back in the Slippery when wet days, the song Cancer makes me feel ! well,dark if thats the right word the hole album is very emotional. P.S you must play it loud....very

15. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Listen to this Desi Punjabi Album
    [link=http://music.pz10.com/album/1537/Baad,%20Phat%20&%20Invincible-Various.html]Baad, Phat & Invincible[/link]
    Specially Track Number 1,2,3,5,10

16. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

So, to necro a thread, I've gotten into Periphery...like a lot. Also, Veil of Maya and Born of Osiris, so kinda digging the djent/deathcore scene right now.

Also, Behemoth: not typically into black metal, but The Satanist is an amazing album. You cannot tell me Nergal is not one of the greatest guitarists/frontman around. I am getting this album.