Pets...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Big B, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

So, yeah, me and the (almost) Mrs. want to acquire another dog, post wedding stuff, and we really like the idea of a Boston Terrier because of their personality and how they'll fit in well with our lazier lifestyle. Both Petland's around here have closed suddenly, which sucks, since we could play with the puppies and get a feel for the different breeds. On the other hand, they were pretty pricey for the dogs ($800 on the low-end) compared with breeders and rescuers that charge $250-350 most of the time, both places including up-to-date shots.

Now, this will be in addition to her 6 year-old Beagle, Joe. Joe is a female who is a little spoiled (it's the end of the world if you leave), so my current housing situation doesn't allow us to leave her alone. When we get the house, we can leave her home since she won't be heard by the neighbors like she would in my apartment. She's not that well trained in that she barks at about every other dog she sees (a real PITA when we have her in the car), but I'll have to see about some collar that will spritz lemon juice when she barks. On the flipside, this gives me more excercise when I walk her, since she pulls hard for a 30lb dog (yes, she's a bit of a sausage), so that'll be good strength training.

I'm not sure, but I may also end up with a cat, depending on how her dad is. (He's not sure he wants it to die on him, even though the cat's about 4-5 years old.)

So, HWF, what's your pet status?

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

We've have had a cat for around 3+ years now I think, its become rather lazy to say the least. I do have question for other cat owners; do you have a litter box for the cat? reason I ask is because our cat jumps over the back garden goes somewhere and comes back so haven't had to buy any litter stuff for 2 or so years.

I really want a dog but can't rid of the cat :( as much as I'd like to have both, can't.

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I have two cats now, I have always had at leat one.. a litter box is only necessary if the cat does not go outside.. I just let my cats go outside whenever they want, the take care of there Own business.. My last cat was a inside cat and never went outside,so we had a liter box for it. That cat was SMART, she used too turn on the lights in the house...

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well, personally, i don't have any pets, but, when i lived with mum & dad (when i was a kid) we got a cat first (my sisters) then a few years later we got a guard dog, because, at the time parents had a shop in Buttershaw (very rough estate in Bradford) we still had the cat, but, that dog (kelly) was great, she was very brave when someone was holding her back, she was like "lemme at em" but if you released her, she was like "who me, i would never get you"

i also had about 30 or 40 canaries, (i used to show them when i was about 14) i started with 1 Budgie he talked quite a lot, but, had a habit of breaking his beak by biting me too hard

i think i prefer dogs after kelly besides i didn't like the cat too much because it was my sisters, you can probably guess that i didn't really like my sister (not my fault, she started it by not liking me because i existed & thought about others before myself e.g. i offer my sweets to everyone before i had any, so, she took a disliking to me cos i thought of asking others, what she thought is: i should have told her to ask others before i offered

sorry for typing so much, but reading it gives people something to do

god i can talk crap

5. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

.... well, we used to have the most amazing dog ever, i grew up with and he passed away when i was 13. At which point the parents really wanted a new dog, and all us kids were like... no, no more. SO, they got a yorkie... and we had to take care of it (a little backwards right???) It was honestly, really really dumb, and it got hit by a car. Our current dog is pure bred shitzu, and it has a lot of problem, but my parents decide to not really address the, which is horrible, but its a small dog, and some where in its first couple years on earth and in our home, something happened and its afraid of life now.... Literally, its afraid of everything, there could be a steak on a plate, but since its on a plate it won't go near it, same with silverware. (maybe it got stuck in the dishwasher????) lol, no, but really, my parents don't really take care of it like they should, so i have to, and its MASSIVELY stubborn, and pees on everything.... pretty much... when we all said we didn't want another dog, we should have stopped there...

6. m60dude5

m60dude5 Geek Trainee

We have two shelties right now and two cats. They get along great because we got the cats first and then the dogs as puppies. I think that's the way to go, since most younger dogs can hold their own against a cat, even though I wouldn't leave them alone until the dog is older.

7. Addis

Addis The King

I can't stand cats. And cat owners who let their cats go outside and then the cat jumps over the fence, starts walking on other people's houses (as in actually walking on the roof. A cat once walked past my second story window at 1am in the morning, scared the shit out of me). Then the cats shit in our garden, which I always have to clean up every time I take a football out to practice.

We got some cat repellent stuff, don't know whether it works.

</rant>

I like dogs though.

8. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

I once had a small, mixed dog (don't know the breed) for about a year when i was 14. It took craps around my carpets, peed on it, ate on it...the dirty works. But it was cute nonetheless. It was a female and loved to go out around the neighboorhood and "play" with the other trillion dogs out there.
    One night, a few months later...my sister wakes me up at 4am on a school day and tells me "you gotta see this!" And i'm thinkin, with my eyes half opened, "this better be good..."
    On my way to the living room i hear these little adorable cries and right then and there, i knew i was gonna be a grandaddy!!!
    But seriously guys this dog pooped out 9 puppies like mike and ikes out of a candy machine: all of them different colored, big and small.
    Yeah those were the times haha... I didnt know much or cared about my dog then but if i had one today i would train it and take good care of it. I wouldn't mind a small dog but i prefer big ones (german sheperd, husky, grey hound, amstaff...)

9. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Christ, that was brave!

My sister has a rabbit called Parsnip, and we have a pond full of goldfish... that's about it! If I can be arsed later I might add a picture of the rabbit later.

I'm the complete opposite :D I hate dogs, but like cats!

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

do you know it then ?[ot]i remembered the capitol "T"

damn, no slap for me :doh:[/ot]
    Edit: i was only about 8

11. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

I've heard about it... I've never been. Bradford is just a bit far out the way from here, unless it's for the day out.

[OT]Well done for remembering the capital 'T', :D *pats Donkeys head[/OT]