philips psc 605 on fedora core1

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by hector123, Oct 22, 2004.

1. hector123

hector123 Geek Trainee

i just installed fedora core1 and i have a philips psc 605 sound card.
    how cand i make it sing? i don't know linux very well!
    please help me

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I think we covered this one a long time ago, over here. Let me know if you have any specific questions, or if that doesn't help out.

P.S. - I am a huge Linux proponent, and I'd rather run *any* version of Linux than Windows. However, I really don't like Red Hat or Fedora at all. They are very slow, being compiled for the i386(!) platform, and severly lack on multimedia capabilities. There are better Linux distributions out there which fill the same niche, such as Suse and Mandrake, which I believe are superior. That being said, if you must run Red Hat, why not at least run a newer build of FC?

3. hector123

hector123 Geek Trainee

it happens something very interesting... I have 2 sound cards.
    1st is philips psc 605
    2nd is cmedia cm8738

soundcard detection detects cm8738 but the sound can be heard in the philips sound card.
    in xmms i'm using oss driver and it works in the same way.I can hear only in 2 channels but my sound card is 5.1.

I installed alsa but i don't think i did it corectly. I used "alsa-driver-1.0.5a-1.i386.rpm" with "alsa-lib-1.0.4-1.1.fc1.fr.i386.rpm" and alsa-utils-1.0.4-1.1.fc1.fr.i386.rpm" i couldn't install the tar.gz version because the compiler didn't find some kernel sources...
    my kernel version is 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl

when i do alsaconfig he coudn't find any sound card.

and btw the link you gave me didn't help me because the guy doesn't say how he did it.

So what it is to be done ?

4. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Disable your onboard sound in your BIOS. That should atleast get rid of your other sound options

5. hector123

hector123 Geek Trainee

done that, 1 year ago. alsa can't see my sound card, same like "soundcard detection" in fedora "start aplications". How cand i make it "seeable", and btw cmedia cm8738 isn't on board is pluged in pci.... please can you tell me how you did it step by step so i'd be sure i won't screw it up again !

6. hector123

hector123 Geek Trainee

done!. i make it happen, after a litle thinking i figure it out.
    This what u need to do.
    1st install kernel-source<your kernel version>.rpm
    2nd install the latest alsa-driver package
    3rd install alsa-lib and alsa-utils ,same version as the alsa driver
    4th run alsaconf and hopefuly the setup will detect your soundcard.
    5th run alsamixer and unmute channels
    6th search alsa-output plugin for xmms and install it
    7th reboot

After reboot you will have a little surprise. in alsamixer you have an option to turn on 4.0 sound, cool!!! 5.1 seems to be too much :)
    i done those and worked. But still something strange happens. It detects 2 cmedia sound cards [ i have 1 cmedia cm8738 and 1 philips psc605 both plugged in pci port]. In alsa-output plugin you can from wich sound card the sound should be played, the default is set the philips sound card always, i don't know why, and alsamixer is configuring just the philips sound card. with alsa output plugin for xmms , you should tune the mixer for the other sound cards, i'm sure you'll figure it out.

This solution raises another problem and i want an answer for that. This driver has only 1 stream, that means that when is played a sound in xmms, in xine i'll hear nothing. If i want to hear in xine, i must to stop xmms. How can i solve this problem because i red that my sound card suports 32 streams.???