Phillips CDRW freakout

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by triniphen, Mar 13, 2003.

1. triniphen

triniphen Geek Trainee

i have a phillips cdrw-4012 as master on primary on an asus A7V333-raid/aud mb. i have a striped raid setup ok but the cdrw gives me ATAPI 9 errors and controller timeouts when reading cd's. it burns fine though, no errors, but freaks out when trying to read certain cd's. i bitched at phillips and they think its me, however they wont give and dont offer detailed specs on the dam thing (DMA 1,2,3...) to help with bios adjustment. its the only device on the system besides the raid hd's. any ideas?

Asus A7V333-raid/aud
    AMDXP+2100
    512mb 2100
    Phillips CDRW 4012
    ATI All-In-Wonder 32mb

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'd look at the CD's that are giving you trouble and see if they've got any similarities primarily the same company.
    Has it always been like this or did it start doing this recently? Have you tried changing the DMA and/or PIO settings in BIOS? In Windows? Have you installed the Via 4-in-1 drivers?

3. triniphen

triniphen Geek Trainee

its been doing this from the beginning
    ive tried changing the BIOS, windows settings.
    DMA is not availble in the bios, only pio.
    phillips suggests pio mode, i set the bios to pio4 and win xp to pio, still no difference, i have installed the via 4in1 drivers and updated the firmware of the cdrw. still no difference.