Please review our new site http://www.techdrive.net

Discussion in 'Web Design & Programming' started by techdrivegirl, Nov 21, 2004.

1. techdrivegirl

techdrivegirl Geek Trainee

Hi Folks,

We have been working in virtual isolation for 18 months on the site and need some help seeing the forest for the trees so we can make changes before we launch.

The site is geared toward people way less sophisticated then board members here - so we've attempted to make it pretty and easy to navigate and use, while at the same time effective. Our problem is we may have gone overboard on the features/functions in our attempt to server all the different user scenarios.

It is not necessary to register or join to review the site (though you are welcome to of course!). To see a logged in Customer or Tech Provider view (personalized) - use a GuestPass, that can be found on page 2 of either the customer path or the tech path.

I look forward to any and all feedback, and appreciate your time.

Tracey :)

2. Addis

Addis The King

Thats a nice idea. I've not had a good look at it yet but seems to be fine. :)

3. techdrivegirl

Thanks Addis! I feel like a nervous kid - hoping people like it. But if any of you think our baby is ugly - please say so! Or if you think of any ways to improve it - yell it loud!

4. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Looks good, profit? free or what?

If it's non-profit then perhaps we could provide each other some help? (not that its my decision) .. you recommend us.. and we recommend u..

If you need any techmates for your site i'm more than willing to help..

(I work in IT :good: )

5. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Modifying your profile page (general)

:
    Warning: mysql_result(): Unable to jump to row 0 on MySQL result index 76 in /usr/home/virtual/techdrive.net/webroot/htdocs/techdrive/templates/forms/profile_s1.ihtml on line 7

Just to add, on the profile creation page.. you do not provide an option for a general overview of everything..

there are not enough options to clearly say what each techmate has knowledge on..

other than that i can't yet see anything wrong, site is nice, easy to use, quick and simple.

6. techdrivegirl

Hi Procalx,

Our site is a for-profit (one day we hope) site - that earns it's profit after the Techmates earn theirs. We welcome any tech providers (who are great and really enjoy helping newbies and small businesses discover the joys of computing) - but we'll leave the free help to you guys and point our users to free sites as an alternative.

We expect our customers need the extra hand holding of on-site visits and by-phone support until they are ready to participate in forums such as this one. We could use all the help we can get - as long as you don't mind earning income for doing it.

7. techdrivegirl

Re: :
    Warning: mysql_result(): Unable to jump to row 0 on MySQL result index 76 in /usr/home/virtual/techdrive.net/webroot/htdocs/techdrive/templates/forms/profile_s1.ihtml on line 7

Trevor - our webmaster - is currently uploading a new members homepage right now - so that error message should disappear in a couple of minutes.

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Well i work for an engineering company as an IT admin, i'm pretty sure that the majority of people here could easily cover the majority of your options.

However i would be careful, as this maybe seen as site pimping, i'm not sure.. as it was directed at us making a profit as well..

Scrap the extra options it's fine, as you get them on the other pages...

*Sorry

On the "All About You" Profile Page, you do not get an option for a "Flexible" or "Generalist" in the Instruction Method drop down menu.

9. techdrivegirl

Sorry - the error freaked me out a bit and I didn't read far enough into your post...

Just to add, on the profile creation page.. you do not provide an option for a general overview of everything..

:) that is what Trevor is adding now that is causing the error you saw

there are not enough options to clearly say what each techmate has knowledge on..

The profile is a basic summary - the details of the services offered, skills, knowledge, speciality and previous experience goes in the Tech Portfolio - accessible below the Profile controls.

The services that a Techmate offers for sale (featured in the HelpStore - added through the business center) give the opportunity for tons of details about the services offered (including 'options' which the Techmate can offer and the customer can select) and link back to the Techmate's profile where they are appear in a special navy box so customers can just click to view, customize and purchase.

The services offered box only appears when there is a service for sale. The Portfolio box also only appears when the portfolio has been added (not all fields are mandatory - but something needs to be added on each of the three portfolio pages in order for the box to appear.)

10. techdrivegirl

I don't want to pimp - I really need feedback.

If people have commercial questions - I can answer them via privately so as not to offend anyone else.

11. Egaladeist

Egaladeist I am the Eg Man

I'm sorry to have to say this TechDrivegirl...but I think it's kind of ironic that a " for-profit " site that offers tech help is asking a "non-profit" tech site that offers free services for their advice and assistance! It looks to me like you're searching for a customer base by forum hopping. Unless, of course, you're suggesting that you are willing to offer your services free to this site as every other member does?

It's not a question of offending anyone...I don't think anyone here gets offended easily ...I think it becomes more of a question of whether you joined to be a member and to offer your services...or to just promote your site and establish a client base.

12. techdrivegirl

I would be very happy to offer my services to the members of the community. I am an eCommerce strategist (with a transaction processing and security background) but with an emphasis on the business aspects of technology. I looked for questions I could answer but didn't find any.

What do you suggest? I am eager to share what I have learned over the past 11 years of doing eBusiness - the same way you all are eager to share your knowledge.

And I came here because I thought I would meet cynics who would help find the holes in my site and business plan because you are a knowledgeable group and won't be side tracked by pretty pictures :)

13. techdrivegirl

And for the record.. of course I would like people of this forum to know about my site because I think I have a reasonable value proposition for those interested in paying some bills by selling their knowledge - but my 'plan' to attract the bulk of traffic to my site is through Affiliate programs.

I don't think my site is ready for primetime yet - nor has it been properly tailored to suit Techmates because I haven't had enough techs look at it and provide feedback.

14. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Just for the record, Tracey did PM me before making the post. As long as this is about comments for improvements and not trying to pimp the site (as determined by HWF staff), it's fine.

15. Egaladeist

That's good that you're here to be an active member of the community! :good:

I'm sure you have alot of useful information to share...maybe Sniper can make use of your eBusiness know-how to promote this site and generate more active memberships...personally, I wouldn't know how to use your services effectively...but I'm sure if you have something that can benefit this site then Sniper or Big B are the ones to talk to.

Welcome aboard! :D

16. Egaladeist

Without knowing you were involved prior to the post...the irony was just too obvious for me to ignore!
    :D

17. techdrivegirl

Sniper and Big B - I'm an ideas girl and would be happy to help you gain more members. Especially since you have a crunching team here. Free tech help and support for worthy cause... the ideas are already germinating.

Anyone else with questions related to eBiz, transaction processing or security issues business related, including: policy development, fields level controls, rules or group based permissions, hardware solutions like dongles and smartcards, EDI, XML based transactions, payment gateways, single sign-on and the like - I am happy to answer them.

I have also spent a number of years advising investment bankers and venture capitalists - so I can offer some insight there as well.

18. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

I'm already setup on the site, as i'm stopping working full time mid december, to be a bum, and work at a bar till may before i go travelling..

So it's great oppurtunity, be cool.. i'd do it for free .. but to get paid ;)

nice1!

19. Egaladeist

Definitely! I wasn't trying to give her a hard time or begrudge anyone of a way to get paid for doing the same thing you're doing here for free...I've got an open door for graphic contributors ( who want to get paid ) once I get my own site up n' running ( as mentioned in the graphics forum )...the irony..on-the-other-hand...couldn't go by me un-noticed!
    :D :D

I think everybody when they're young should travel...I spent most of my youth hitch-hiking all over the States and Canada...logged over 20,000 miles...through 8 provinces and 21 states...some more than once...it was a blast...I highly recommend it.....not the hitching though...it's a little more dangerous now...only once did I have to grab the wheel and force us off the road...the guy was pyscho...you could tell there was something wrong ...wanted to take me off the interstate down a side road to meet some of his friends...no friggin' way!

20. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

I've already travelled Australia & Newzealand, mainly in the (aus) Gold Coast :good: I'm going working abroad, but i'll be visiting: Sweden, Poland, Greece, Spain, France Over a period of around 7 months.