PNY Verto 7900GS @ HWF

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Big B, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I just posted a new review of PNY's GeForce 7900GS of their Verto line. Here's a snippet:

PNY has a miniture portfolio with the CD and manual inside, which can make it easier to keep these items together. The manual itself is well written and covers the differences between AGP, PCI and PCIe interfaces. It also covers auxillary power connections for AGP cards. The only thing I would have liked to have seen would be the coverage of a PCIe power connector. Considering this isn't PNY's first PCIe video card requiring a 6-pin PCIe connector, this is a bit of an oversight. Those who keep up with the latest and greatest shouldn't have any issues, but this could be confusing for the consumer getting their feet wet in DIY upgrades.

The entire review can be had here.

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Nice review, did PNY actually send you that free of charge? or did you just buy it as a nice upgrade to your system?

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I jumped on the PNY deal that Best Buy had. I figured it might not be bad to do a review along with it.

4. Willz

Yea, its damnd cheap for a card like that!, i so wish i did not buy my x800 when i did, i should of upgraded to pic-e and got a cheap tempory card, when i upgrade to pci-e i might get that card for a tempory time untill i can get dx 10, good card, but the cooler?!? :s, looks too small, especially for a 7900 series card.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I don't have other 7900GS cards, but it's cooler is made of copper, so the heat transfer is good. Additionally, these are spec'd for single-slot designs, unlike the GTX and GX2 models. PNY did use a longer PCB, so it probably does look a little small. However, it's quiet and is actually a little less hot under load and OC'd than the 6600GT I had in before hand. It's like 45*C when OC'd at idle, and might go up to the high 60's, which is pretty cool for a GPU.

6. Willz

thats really good for a GPU, my x800xt goes up to nearly 85 degrees at load, usualy tho it tops out at 75.

you planning on maybe going Sli in the future?

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Not really. I could, as it wouldn't take much to actually make my motherboard SLI capable. It's more, I don't want to. I can do 1600x1200 at high-detail settings in basically every game I own, so the motivation, right now, isn't there.
    Between that and the 3700+ I picked up for cheap in town, I think I'm good for now. Probably the next part I'll buy is another hard drive when one of my remaining Maxtor's give up the ghost.

8. Willz

you got an Amd 64 3700+?, if so, get that thing overclocked to 2.8ghz, got some FX57 performance there!

You've got an awsome rig now tho with the graphics card, bet you will be able to run ut2k7 on medium settings :good:

Update your sig and my computer too :p

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, I'll be doing that. I just gotta get some of my more advanced timings sorted out so Prime doesn't wig out on me.

10. Willz

Advanced timing?

Oh and maybe you might be one of the lucky ones to get your up to 3ghz with a mobo like yours, you should make a thread about overclocking the 3700+ :good:
    You planning on doing a review for the cpu?

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Not really. It's too "old" and Socket 939, so I kinda doubt it. It's a CBBWE stepping, which tops out at about 2.8GHz on air from what I've read.

The DFI motherboards have a crap load of timings. We're talking 2-5 times what many motherboard's have. This applies to their LanParty series specifically, so non LP boards don't have the frills here. If you check my review of the NF4 Ultra-D (it's still on Zone365 right now, not in the HWF listing) I've got BIOS shots that will show how many memory tweaks there are. It's insane, and why I generally don't recommend the LP boards to new DIY'ers. These boards do kick ass, but they can be extremely frustrating if you don't know what you're doing.

12. Willz

ah, my gigabye mobo has lots of timings, and its not even an overclockers mobo, my DFI infinity on my old computer is an awsome mobo for overclocking, would of been a realy please to use with my 3ghz pentium 4, i could of got that thing to 3.8ghz, but mobo was faulty :(.

You should do a post about overclocking the 3700+, i dont know about anyone else but i think it would be a very intresting thread.
    I got my 3700+ to 3ghz, managed to load windows, but thats about it, 2.85ghz is about max for me, 2.8 is what i have it to be safe.

i am curious as to why these 3700+ can go so high, its as if there the same exact cores as some higher line ones just underclocked.

i bet your 3000+ would of been a bottleneck for your new card?

13. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Thanks for the excellent review B, makes me want one now, especially at the $150-190 mark. Of course I'd have to upgrade the mobo and the ram...and then I might as well go for a better CPU but I do think I'll be in the market this summer for sure.
    Just one question, did you have the texture quality on FEAR set to maximum as that's the real performance hog in most games. Thanks dude.

14. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

By then, we should have a better idea about DX10, not to mention mid-range 8000 GeForce and whatever DX10 Radeon line comes out.

15. Willz

Ex if your planning on upgrading in summer, you definitely wont be getting a 7900GS :p, by then there will be even better cards at cheaper prices, maybe even a direct x 10 card at the same price range that performs better.

16. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Exactly, and there should actually be a few games out to take advantage of that I'm hoping.

17. Willz

What are you hoping of, 8800GS or 8800GTX?, i rekon i will be saving for an R600 or proberbly go on a budget setup using the 8800GS because by summer, it will be really cheap like the X1900XT.

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Can't say at this point, I'll have to see how they handle crysis and UT2k7 and gage it by that. The R600 is looking a good bit stronger at this point though. I wouldn't want to spend more than 300 either so that would kind of determine a lot.

19. Willz

$300???, thats like 150-200 quid lol, maybe even less!, i rekon you will be looking at an 8800GTS, and i think in summer the 8800GTS will only be the real decent DX10 card at that price range, or could be the only one.

20. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I don't know about that. Currently the GTS goes for about $450 or so. But summer's a long way away and as ATI releases new cards and nvidia makes updates the GTS will have to drop in price a lot of stay competitive. Not to mention any mid/high end cards coming out, like a DX 10 equivilant of the 7600GT or so.