Poor 3d marks score

Discussion in 'Benchmarking' started by duffgun, Feb 17, 2006.

1. duffgun

duffgun Geek Trainee

my computer has got a terreble 3dmarks 2001 score, just 7414, here my spec
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 754
    512 mb cheap DDR 400mhz ram
    80GB 7,200 rpm hard drive
    Geforce FX5700 LE with new drivers
    That looks low compared to some other computers i saw in the 01 score thread, my computer got beat by an old 1.4ghz Athlon, that cant be right i have over clocked my video card by 5mhz and i get 7524.
    what could be wrong?

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

This sort of question has been answered many times before on these forums.
    I suggest you search the forums a little more first.

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That video card is pretty weak. The 5700 was okay, but an LE is a crippled version of it. Could it be a little low? Sure, however, I'd be more concerned with low performance in an actual game. There are NO games based on the 3DMark engine. It's sole usefulness comes in when they are able to test features no game in the market can. Even then, it's very fickle. It's not a 'realistic' benchmark because it's simply not based on any tangible game. That combined with some pompous threats to [H]ard|OCP (even factoring in that the owner can be an ass) for criticizing the usefulness of 3DMark, we have removed and will not use 3DMark in our reviews.

Having said that, 3DMark is sensetive to things like if you've installed your chipset drivers or not. Other games may perform better with the chipset drivers installed (and tends to be recommended that you do so anyway), but 3DMark is picky about this as well.

If you want better gaming performance, upgrade your video card. Also make sure you're comparing similarly equipped systems, particularly with the same video card and CPU, followed by the RAM.

5. duffgun

duffgun Geek Trainee

i played MOH AA today and it runs fine at max settings 1024*768 at 32bit never once had any slow down, and half life 2 plays fine at medium settings, The 3d marks score must be low cos i am running original CD drivers for the video card and the chipset although everything is installed properly, as long as my games run fine it doesnt matter about the score, i still want a new video card and ram in the next few weeks though ;) .
    thanks

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yup that would do it. MOH, assuming you're refering to the earlier version (not pacific assult) I can understand that as the game is pretty tame as far as graphical complexity. HL2 fortunatley scales back well to a broad range of cards, even the GeForce 4MX so it's pretty accessable to a lot of people.