Portable Scanner

Discussion in 'Printers, Scanners and Digital Cameras' started by dsDoan, Sep 29, 2007.

1. dsDoan

dsDoan Geek Trainee

Does anyone know where I might find a portable scanner? I need a scanner that does not require a PC to operate, but that I can later connect to a computer (via USB, FireWire, etc) and copy any previously scanned pictures. Basically, a scanner with a (preferably) internal hard drive. (rechargeable)Battery-power is also preferable, but not a necessity. I'm not looking for one of those business card or receipt scanners. The perfect image of what I'm lookin' for would be a typical flatbed scanner, that does not require a PC to operate, and includes an internal hard drive, preferably 1 GB+, with a USB or FireWire port.

2. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

I think this is what you are looking four, this is a roundup of four.. they look kinda pricey though..
    An Examination of Four Stand-alone Reading Machines

Especially
    "...The SARA (which stands for Scanning And Reading Appliance) is a stand-alone reading machine. The dimensions of the rectangular SARA are 20 inches long by 12 inches wide by 3.5 inches deep. It weights about eighteen pounds. It has a 60 GB hard drive, a CD/DVD burner for storing files, and a slot for playing a CD. You can connect it to a television or to a computer to save and view scanned images in large type. The unit has front-mounted stereo speakers and a built-in microphone for recording file names of the materials you scan and save. Across the top is the flatbed scanner. On the front of the device is a jack for connecting headphones or stereo speakers. The SARA works well for scanning hardback and paperback books, saving the files, then reading them aloud on command. Forty public domain books are preloaded in SARA for your reading pleasure. The buttons, although numerous, are large and easy to find. All menu items and choices are spoken aloud. As software updates are available for the SARA, they are provided on DVD with instructions...."