Possibily a video card problem? Monitor is completely blank,Windows running perfectly

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Hyperion, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Hyperion

Hyperion Geek Trainee

I had been using my XFX GeForce 8600 GT for over a year and a half without any problem. Suddenly, I started experiencing display problems. When I ran my computer one fine day, my monitor was completely blank although my system was running perfectly fine and Windows was loading perfectly. I did not experience any "No Display" error message on my monitor, only it was completely blank and the LED on the monitor was constantly blinking. I had used my computer only a few hours ago and everything ran perfectly fine including the Graphics Card. The only thing i had done before shutting down was used the Disk Cleanup tool and compressed some old files on both my drives via that. It was only after this shutdown that i started experiencing the blank screen problems. I have tried re-installing the Graphics Card and the drivers but of no avail and I'm currently running my system on the on board graphics facility. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Possibily a video card problem? Monitor is completely blank,Windows running perfe

If it works on the integrated Graphics and not your AGP card , then it sounds like you need a new card.. So everything work fine by using the default video ? there are no other problems ?

3. Hyperion

Hyperion Geek Trainee

Possibily a video card problem? Monitor is completely blank,Windows running perfe

Using the integrated graphics ever since..maybe a month and a half without any problems..

ive even tried swapping and using just one of my RAM sticks so RAM is ruled out..

Thx for your reply..waiting for more so i can finalize its time for a new card xD

4. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi, ram has nothing to do with it, it wouldn't post if ram was faulty and it works with your onboard graphics. So it's more than likely graphics card. when you said that you tried to re-install the graphics card and drivers, do you mean whilst using your onboard graphics windows stil detects your graphics card in device manager?

5. Hyperion

Hyperion Geek Trainee

No, when i use my onboard graphics windows does not detect my graphics card in device manager

6. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi, I can't see there being any problems with the graphics controller located on the northbridge chipset because obviously your onboard graphics work. So it's graphics card.
    Did you not get any post bios beeps? sometimes that happens sometimes it doesn't.

7. Hyperion

Hyperion Geek Trainee

no beeps no sounds at all..

1>when i connect my monitor to my graphics card my computer is running perfectly fine no problems but im getting a blank monitor

2>when i connect my monitor to the onboard graphics everything is perfectly fine been using that for some time now

8. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

so you've got onboard graphics enabled as well as the graphics card in the graphics slot.
    And whilst in windows you've switched your vga cable from the graphics card to the onboard graphics and it only works whilst plugged into onboard graphics port?

when you first start up your pc, do you get a post beep and then loads windows?

If so go into the bios and disable onboard graphics, save changes and restart the computer. you will then know for sure if it's the graphics card it self because it will not post. to re-enable onboard graphics simply reset cmos that will set everythin back to bios default and will enable onboard graphics.

9. Hyperion

Hyperion Geek Trainee

1>so you've got onboard graphics enabled as well as the graphics card in the graphics slot.
    And whilst in windows you've switched your vga cable from the graphics card to the onboard graphics and it only works whilst plugged into onboard graphics port? - Yes, exactly.

2>when you first start up your pc, do you get a post beep and then loads windows? - Nope

3>If so go into the bios and disable onboard graphics, save changes and restart the computer. you will then know for sure if it's the graphics card it self because it will not post. to re-enable onboard graphics simply reset cmos that will set everythin back to bios default and will enable onboard graphics. - Did this..no post beep or anything..computer started fine..I got the display but my graphics card was working like shit..all games were running as if it was on onboard graphics..then after restart same problem again and had to shift to onboard graphics again...

See there are some ways i can get my graphics card to give my monitor signal but my graphic card just does not work..all it gives me is the display but no bloody performance in games like it used to give before this problem..every damn game is framing like crap...and when i restart my comp everything goes blank again and works only when i plug my monitor to the onboard graphics..

10. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi, yes it's graphics card then, it's partially failed, sometimes this kind of stuff happens eventually it will fail altogether. You stated in above posts you've re-installed drivers many times with no luck. So I think it's time for a new graphics card.

11. Hyperion

Hyperion Geek Trainee

Great thanks..

I'm thinking of a Zotac 9800GT as it completely fits my budget,requirements and my computer specifications.

My only doubt if you can clarify is that the graphic card specification page does not show whether it supports shader model 4.0

this is the specification page..if you could please confirm whether DirectX10 support automatically means Shader Model 4.0 support or whether this card does not support shader model 4.0 at all i would appreciate it :)

[​IMG]

12. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi yes that card supports shader model 4.0 and dirext X10 but to benfit from directx 10 you will need windows Vista if you don't already have it. By the way it only has 112 Processing cores which is not bad but could do better. What is your budget? You could possibly go for gtx 260 or Ati Radeon 4870?

13. Hyperion

Hyperion Geek Trainee

Thx for the confirmation..and both graphic card suggestions..

My budget is Indian Rs. 9000 = U.S $180

The card costs Rs. 8500 here..

I'll do some research on both your suggestions and decide thx a lot

14. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Newegg.com - Open Box: SAPPHIRE 100243L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
    Slightly over budget but a excellent card.

Newegg.com - MSI N260GTX-T2D896 OC GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
    Bang on budget.

They are both excellent cards, The Ati Radeon performs slightly better but wouldn't make a massive difference. I own a Nvidia Gtx 260 and gotta say well worth the money, graphics are immense you won't be disapointed also this version has 192 processing cores which is better than 9800gt @ 112 processing cores.