Power Problems

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by lwalker, Oct 13, 2004.

1. lwalker

lwalker Geek Trainee

Hey, everybody - this is my first time here. I do occassional freelance work on PCs, so a friend asked me to look at her, "dead" computer. It does absolutely nothing - no LED light, no buzzing or spinning, nothing. I've tried a bunch of stuff: I replaced the power supply with a known good one; I disconnected and reconnected the Power SW cord; I unseated and reseated all of the expansion cards . . . none of it helps. I don't know much about fuses - does this sound like it might be one? It's an old Award MB, probably about 7 years old or more, I'm guessing. Anyone know where to find the fuse (this is rather embarrassing, especially since I have an A+ cert)? I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks!

- Lauren

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Sounds like you've got a dead motherboard!

3. lwalker

lwalker Geek Trainee

Don't verify my fears! :swt:

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I'd have to agree

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If there was a fuse anywhere, it'd be on the power supply, not the motherboard.

The last thing you could try is taking the motherboard out of the case and placing it on a non-concductive surface and trying to power it up from there.

If that doesn't work, you're looking at the mobo being gone.

BTW, Award isn't a motherboard company. They make the BIOS core that companies tweak to their own design.