Power Problems

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by dave, Mar 17, 2003.

1. dave

dave Geek Trainee

Hey, how u all doing?

Before I give u the problem these are my main specs

AMD Athlon 1.4Ghz
    K7S5A (ATX) Motherboard-Elite Group chipset
    256 DDR
    40 Gb Western Digital HDD
    128Mb DDR GF4 Ti4200
    Windows 2000 SP3

I've had this computer for more than a year now. My problem is recently when I turn on the computer, it starts to boot up then suddenly shuts down-usually during the BIOS start up. The only way I can start it up again (and it usually shuts down again) is to dissconnect the power cable, flick the switch off on the back of the power supply unit and wait a while. Then plug the cable in again, flick the switch on and switch on - and hope it starts up.

I thought it may be either motherboard/cpu cooler/power supply unit.

The power supply unit has one of these special temperature things in it that turns off the computer if it gets too hot - but this can't be the problem because it shuts down even when I switch on from fresh.

It therefore can't be overheating with the cpu & its fan also-because it shuts down before it gets the chance to heat up.

Hope someone can help
    Thanx

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

ECS boards are known to be picky with the power supply they're paired with...typically running almost as much as the motherboar itself. Good brands overall are Antec, Enermax and Sparkle, the last being my personal favorite.

Basically, eliminate or replace the components that you believe to be the problem starting with the cheapest one and take it from there. The PSU could have a faulty sensor, but you don't know that for sure.