Power Supply Help

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by noomi, Oct 26, 2005.

1. noomi

noomi Geek Trainee

I realize this might be a stupid question but I'm not that computer handy :p Anyways, I currently own Dell Dimension XPS 2nd Generation Desktop and I want to upgrade my video card. The vid card I want to buy requires a 350W PSU and I have no idea how to check what my current voltage is. I cant actually look at the PSU itself since its located underneath the PC case and I have no idea how to open it to look at it. I also tried looking in my BIOS which didnt say anything about the PSU just options to change a few of its settings.

So my question is, are there any other ways to check the PSU voltage, or does anyone here know what the xps gen 2 desktop stock PSU is? Also if anyone knows how to open up the bottom of an xps dekstop the PSU might have a sticker or something on it that tells me what the voltage is. Thanks in advance.

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

What graphics card are you getting? Dell are renowned for crappy self-upgrade options.
    It's highly likely a new PSU won't fit in your case and the new graphics card may be a nightmare to install as well. There is no way to check you PSU in BIOS, only the voltages it's supplying, knowing Dell it won't have a good rating and most probably won't be able to supply enough power (watts) for an upgrade like that.

3. noomi

noomi Geek Trainee

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

2002?! I doubt your PC will have the right slot (PCI-Express) for that card, looks like an upgrade if you want that card unfortunately...or you could look for an AGP card that would suit you, what are you using this system for?

5. noomi

noomi Geek Trainee

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah that is a good AGP card, also to make sure you know what type of slot you have to 'play' around with download PC Wizard and then run it, it gives information about pretty much everything on your computer (except PSU)

7. noomi

noomi Geek Trainee

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Hmm interesting, didn't expect that from Dell and considering you bought it in 2002...well get an AGP card then, PCI-e isn't going to be compatible unless you get a new motherboard and then you'll probably neew new other stuff because Dell's are notoriously hard to upgrade.

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The XPS is Dell's gaming box, and those are actually pretty good. If you do need an upgraded PSU, PC Power & Cooling makes Dell-specific power supplies. While they're a bit pricey, they're argueably the best PSU company around and can justify charging $200 for a 500W power supply.

10. noomi

noomi Geek Trainee

does anything like an AGP to PCI-E Slot converter exist, or will I actually be forced to buy new motherboard eventually?

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

There is a converter available to put AGP cards in a PCI-e slot but it only works with certain cards (low profile ones)
    Honestly If you want PCI-e graphics, you'll need an upgrade, it isn't too expensive to get a pretty good AMD64 Motherboard and CPU, so I'd consider an upgrade if you want that 7800GT...