Power Supply Unit question..

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by blue_kia, Oct 15, 2010.

1. blue_kia

blue_kia Geek Trainee

guys, can i ask for your opinion on this..

i just bought a new MOBO, currently connected to it are 2 HDD (IDE), 1 DVD RW (SATA), integrated video card and processor.

now the power supply unit that is currently installed on it is a 300W PSU, generic and is currently 5 years old.

had it installed for about 4 days now. no problem with regards to the PSU but is it advisable to buy one? since i just bought a brand new MOBO just to be sure. if ever im going to buy one it would just be the generic PSU about 500-600W not the branded ones. or should i just use my old one which is already 5 years old. of course im not a hard core user of the processor.

if advisable which generic brand do you recomend?

thanks for the advise!
    blue_kia is online now Edit/Delete Message

2. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

If your setup is working with no problems currently, I dont see why you would have to buy a new powersupply at the moment. If you intended to upgrade, you probably will have to in order to run a newer video card or processor. Am not sure about generic brands of PSU's, the last 2 i have bought were a thermaltake brand and the other was a pc power and cooling. Have had no problems with them so far ;)

3. blue_kia

blue_kia Geek Trainee

thanks for the reply.. will take your advice.. :D