Pre-release Vista copy coming my way

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by NeloForster, Dec 21, 2006.

1. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

thats roghly how much i have now

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

That must mean your on an installation you havent installed any programs on yet. I am going to be installing Vista RC1 soon, i cope with Windows XP for months on 512mb of ram, so i can cope with vista with 1gb of ram, just like having a 512mb stick of memory in.

3. NeloForster

NeloForster Source of Exyphetadolamin

Will:
    I know :p What I meant was it's probable that turbocache in integral to the cores of all cards that use it.

Mike

4. Willz

Ohhh i see, stupid me..

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Geek Trainee

Signed up????? what ??? when was this???

6. NeloForster

It doesn't apply to part timers like you Aaron :p

There were forms handed out and basically we get an intensive Vista training course then we start training people in the workplace. Who knows man, I might end up training you :p

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Geek Trainee

That takes the complete and utter piss... I tell you that place is full of crap.
    Meh i dont need training on vista... :/

8. Willz

Vista is basically Xp thats been revamped, NT5.2.1. lol

I heard that its apparently based off of Windows Server 2003 more than XP, but Server 2003 was paractically Windows XP aswell..

9. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

Vista sound like a load of crap to me. It will cost a lot of money as has already been said and it will use extra ram. Im going to wait untill it becomes very mainstream (if it ever happens) untill i even think of spending money on it.

10. NeloForster

Here's something extremely interesting from the guys that have been testing Vista first at my workplace...

The Vista installation DVD comes with an image of the Vista operating system intact. Quite simply, if your installation of vista goes wrong somehow, you can load a factory-settings Windows Vista up from the DVD, navigate your HDD, back up your files with no problems, then fix or reinstall the HDD installation of Vista...

No more losing all your files from an OS fault :) This alone has already got me sold. How easy it is to lose everything on XP is my only major dislike about XP... And if that problem is solved in Vista then I can't complain...

Mike

11. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

1. That live CD comes with the Linux as well...
    2. You can cure this problem with Win XP as well... I mean u cant run win XP live but if you create a separate partition for the OS then u dnt have to worry about rest of the drives unless UR hardware drives goes bang... U will be only formating that OS partition and the rest will remain untouched...(This is a very good thing which I've learned from Megamaced:good:)

12. NeloForster

That's exactly what I do, but despite making a partition just for Windows XP, Windows XP likes to format the entire drive against my commands which makes me sick beyond belief as the drive that all my games are installed to is the WinXP drive because it's the fastest of the 3 I have.

It's more a blessing for me because at my workplace we have to help customers of Curry's, Dixons, and PC World with their PC's. PC manufacturers don't give customers normal XP CD's, but rather a recovery CD which either overwrites the windows files to repair, or totally reformats the PC obliterating all partitions except the hidden partition, and restoring everything to factory settings.

At least with Vista customers won't have a go at me for data loss...

And as for Linux, I'm sure I'd love it for word processing, but I'm a gamer... See my problem :)

Thanks for the advice,

Mike

13. Karanislove

Well... I dont have much knowledge about linux If you have a Live CD of linux then I think that you can still do the same thing... Run it on the system on copy whatever you want to do or something. So basically you can run it over XP as well...Just like u said Vista!

14. NeloForster

Genius! I never thought of using Linux just for that...

Thanks!

Mike

15. Karanislove

you are welcome :)

16. daworz

daworz Geek Trainee

NeloForster,
    Hey just purchased a new laptop for my daughter, and it came with Vista, if i have any problems can i contact you here?

17. NeloForster

Feel free to do so, I'll always do my best to help, but a biiiiig phrase to remember with Vista is "Hardware incompatability" - Cause chances are you'll install a digital camera and it just won't work... If you come accross anything like that, check the hardware manufacturers website for any fixes or new drivers for the device.

If that doesn't help, come back here and I'll see what I can do.

Regards,

Mike

18. Willz

daworz, If I was you, I would install XP untill SP1 for Vista comes out, also if the laptop has 1GB of ram, things may slow down.

19. NeloForster

But if this laptop is one from a manufacturer (Well, it'd be hard not to be from a manufacturer being a laptop), removing the OS it came with and installing a different one causes problems unimaginable. For example, people rang me up at my previous workplace with manufacturered PC's/laptops saying they installed their own copy of XP or Vista onto the machine and it no longer worked - devices didn't appear in device manager, constant blue screens etc. This is because the manufacturer includes a copy of the OS which has been modified in a way that only that modified version of the OS will work on their particular machine.

If you do install XP on the laptop, make sure you don't delete the recovery partition during setup (But this is fine if your machine came with recovery CD's). You can use this to reinstall Vista on the machine at any time if you have problems after installing XP. If this recovery partition is overwritten, chances are you'd have to buy a new copy of Windows Vista because manufacturers aren't fond of supplying replacement recovery media unless the original problem is that there was an issue with their poduct, rather than a customer-induced issue.

Hope this helps,

Mike

20. woodmaster

woodmaster Geek Trainee

Hi there Neloforster My current gamming rig is fairly new which I built my self and it has 250 gig hard drive, can I install Vista on another hard drive and use it as a dual system, is this ok to do,will it be stable or is it better to wipe my XP and do a fresh Vista install I only use my rig for games realy and i want to be ready for DX10 which I should be able to get a 8800 card in few weeks its just that I like playing some of the older games somtimes, thanx for any help and any tips you can provide