Printer Bluetooth Problem

Discussion in 'Printers, Scanners and Digital Cameras' started by bluefire, Feb 5, 2009.

1. bluefire

bluefire Geek Trainee

Can someone please help me with setting up my HP 8250 printer to use the bluetooth option with my mobile phone.

I have put a bluetooth dongle in to the printer and activated bluetooth on the phone, then searched for new device, I then get the message on my phone saying under devices found, Photosmart 8200 series.

If I press the button to add the printer, I am asked to enter passcode for photosmart 8200 series. Now this is where I have the problem,apparently the default code is 0000 but when I enter this number I get the message passcode mismatch.

I have therefore been in contact with HP support who told me how to reset the passcode in the printer, I have reset the passcode to a new number but this still does not work, I still get the message passcode mismatch. I got back to HP support who then asked if I was using a HPbt300 bluetooth adapter as they said that this was the only one which was compatable. I replied that I wasn't using this adapter but a generic bluetooth dongle. I have asked them if I can by one of these adapters from them but they seem to be evading the question, and I can't seem to be able to get one anywhere.

They havn't come up with a solution, but my understanding is that my bluetooth dongle must be compatable with the printer as I am receiving a signal on my phone from the printer saying photosmart 8200 series found. The problem is that I cannot pair the devices because it will not accept a passcode. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Kevin.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

typical of HP and any big company, if in doubt blame anybody but themselves

anyway, i'm not an expert in bluethooth by any means, but, what bluetooth class are both devices (to find this you probably need to look in the specs section usually in the back of the manual)
    and have you named your phone

3. bluefire

bluefire Geek Trainee

Thanks for your answer, I have checked the specs in the manuals but it doesn't show this info. and yes I have named the phone.

I have tried to connect to the printer with several mobile phones, they recognise the printer and all ask for the passcode, but obviously won't accept the passcode which I enter, therefore it makes me think that it's definately the printer end that's the problem, not the phone.