Problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wilibald, Jul 31, 2002.

1. wilibald

wilibald Geek Trainee

My cd-rw and dvd drives are missing. I installed WinXP Pro and at first they were there. I did a few reboots after installing software and now they are gone. The device manager shows that the drives are there, but the have a problem.

It says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I have tried removing and reinstalling them, but still nothing. I have also tried downloading updated drivers from the internet.

AMD 1,4
    512MB SDRAM
    GeForce2 MX400
    60HDD Maxtor
    2x NIC
    Windows XP Pro

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Do you have them on the same IDE channel?

I've been looking through your other posts and am trying to piece together whats going wrong. I'm not sure what it is yet, but some feedback on what's going on would be helpful in fixing the problems:)

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

wilibald, got the problem solved? :confused:

4. mad2moons

mad2moons Geek Trainee

sounds like you've got them both installed as master or both as slave on the same ide cable. Can u see them in POST?

5. syngod

syngod Moderator

Since you say they disappeared after installing software what applications did you install?

I know quite a few people have had problems with certain burning software deleting their drives (Mainly CDRWin 5).