problems accessing certain websites.

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Willz, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

The only way you're going to solve this problem is by simplifying your network setup to its simplest form possible and troubleshooting from there. By the way, which ISP do you have?

2. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

I have verizon dsl

3. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

ok, i have crap AOL, i am only connected through a router, router, and then ethernet cable connecting each computer to router, i inputed the generic router settings that aol gave me into the router setup, and then i was able to connect to aol and stuff.

4. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

I'm not *entirely* sure what your problems are but I suspect that both of you may have a similiar setup to mine so I'll explain the problem I had and maybe that will help you out.

A few weeks ago I moved house. I'm now renting a room at a house that gets used as a sort of B&B so there a lot of people who come and go regularly. The owner of the house has an ADSL connection provided by a Belkin wireless router. It connects directly to the ISP and provides 'net access via a DHCP service across a wireless protocol. Therefore the visitors who stop by, if they have laptops they need to connect to the Internet, and most of them do, do so by assigning their gateway and DNS address to the address of the router and connecting to the DHCP service. Quite simple. However I have several computers that I wanted to connect (currently eight and that's only because I've run out of space on my hub) and as the router does not belong to me and needs to remain easy to use (read: insecure) I wanted to have my machine protected by their own firewall. Therefore most of my machines are on an entirely separate network except for one which is part of the DHCP service and acts as a firewall/gateway to the 'net so I essentially have a double-NAT situation whereby my firewall masquerades on behalf of my internal machines to the modem while the modem masquerades on behalf of my firewall to the 'net. To cut a long story short, after two weeks of trying to get my internal machines onto the 'net I figured out that the only way to connect them was to assign the DNS address as the IP address of the firewall and assign the gateway address as the DHCP-assigned address of the firewall. Then I had to enter the command (under Linux) "route add -host ip.add.of.modem gw ip.add.of.firewall" at which point I was now connected. A few days ago I had to add an XP box to the internal network and connect it to the Internet. The handling for that was the same as above except the syntax of the command was slightly diferent, namely "route add ip.add.of.modem ip.add.of.firewall" and that too was online. Again I don't know if your problem is the same as mine but it may be so let me know if this was of any help.

5. Willz

ok.... i dont understand that, i dont even know the ip of the firewall in the router, i know the ip of the router (192.168.8.1) and my computer ip (192.168.8.2) <<<1st computer (main)
    (192.168.8.3) <<<2nd computer (crap)

6. Willz

ah, i think i have sorted out the problem, i went onto my router setup page, then went to packet filter, enabled it, changed the size to the recomended size of 1492 (default was 1500) and then microsoft loaded up for first time not on aol, but i have not seen yet if it has stoped other sites from working but i will say if it does.

well the website i was using as a test was logging into msdn subscribers, wich would ot load, and now, WOW its loaded.

yes, thanks all for your help, the problem is now sorted, it turns out all i had to do was enable the packet filter.

7. ThePenguinCometh

Good, the best solutions are usually the simplest!

8. Willz

ah, thats one problem, now about 4 to go, you will know what my other problems are eventually.

9. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

well my problem is simple i can connect to the internet and access various sites on both computers (computer 1 connected to my U.S. robotics router and my 2nd computer using a USB adapter totalk to the router also made by U.S. robotics its a starter kit) besides that the only two problems im having with this basic connection is that i cannot login/ sign into web sites such as ebay and yahoo to check mail and accounts yet i can search the sites

when i try to login/sign in it freezes up most of the time and when it works its extremely slow and only lets me see the summary page on ebay and the yahoo users page where you select inbox outbox and junk mail

This also happens when my mom trys to use her Msn messanger to check mail but it only whats in her mail box but doesnt let her open any mail maybe this is a security problem

My second problem is simple my usb adapter is not compatible with linux so to solve this I'll just get a netgear adapter that supports linux and windows ( trust me i tried making a linux driver with driverloader but did not work.

To sum it all up i only have this problem when i connect the computer to the router if i take the ethernet cable and put it back in the computers LAN slot which is then connected directly to the cable/ dsl router i then have no problem access msn yahoo or ebay but i still have the problem of me not having any internet connection.

Anybody can solve this problem or is experiencing this?

10. Willz

i said i solved mine, try to go into the router setup and enable the packet filter, and see if that works, as it did for me, as i could not logg in to msn or msdn, but now every website works perfectly now i enabled it, it might not work for you, but give it a try kenshinx.

i would suggest instead of having windows 2000 pro, get windows xp and do a fresh install, it might be that mandrake linux and windows 2000 just blocking the websites, try windows xp if you can and see if that also solves your problem if enabling the packet filter dont work, as its alot easyer to set up connections and stuff in windows xp.

11. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

where exactly is it located is under the settings at my routers Ip address under advance settings it says these are all the section i can chose from under advance settings

SYstem
    Wan
    Lan
    Wireless
    Nat
    firewall
    DDNS
    UPnP
    tools
    Status

is it under one of these

12. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

I believe ive found it i looked under firewall and access control

13. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

ok i found out where that packet enabling is but where can i find the isa on XP which is on the computer connected to the router i looked under network connection no trace of it is this a service pack addition?

14. Willz

i have windows xp service pack 2 on both of my computer, in network connections all i have is local area connection, if you have found the packet option and enabled it, try to get on a wesbtie that proviously never worked, and see if it works, to enable it, it took me litrally 2 seconds.

15. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

i cant find the isa or packet configuration put i found the microsft web site that shows u how to enable it but i dont have the isa pack so im just gonna get my cousin's who lives with me for the time being has Windows Xp pro upgrade edition i gonna ugrade from 2000 pro ok ill get back to you in a few

16. Willz

upgrading is a bad idea, becouse you have all old data left behind from the windows 2000 os, so you really should do a fresh install.

you dont need an isa pack or somthing, it should be in main setup of your router.

on my router it was listed as packets, and my router is not a well known brand of router, infact no one has ever heard of it.

17. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

ive looked the closet thing i ve seen was the firewall section that has a access control setup type thing and that didnt do any thing when i disabled and enabled it

18. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Willhub: First of all, the TCP stack in Windows 2000 and Windows XP are identical, as they're basically the same operating system. Secondly, Mandriva (or any other *nix) has a much more advanced TCP stack than any version of Windows, so they are capable of more complicated routing situations. Finally, I'm pretty sure AOL does some packet filtering and some heavy proxying on their own routers, so you could actually be triple NAT'ing. That could be a problem if either their routers or your routers are not programmed well regarding routing-table forwarding. If both sets of routers have problems passing forwarding tables, you're really going to have some difficulties.

19. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

Anti trend do you see any way of a possible solution to my problem similar to willhub?

20. ThePenguinCometh

KenshinX, could you do a recap on what your problem is exactly and what you've done so far to try to fix it. I'm kind of lost as to exactly what your running into. Also are you able to connect directly to the Internet from your computer without using the router?