Problems mounting NTFS in Debian

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by sabashuali, Dec 30, 2007.

1. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hi all

This is driving me nuts! I never had this problem before. I am trying to mount an NTFS partition, which was never a problem for me. I can mount it OK but although I request read/write access I only get read!!! WTF???

There might be a clue in the 'dmesg' -
    How do I get over this? How do I "clean" this whatyoumightcallit? And WTF does'Mount in Windows' mean????

I am in no desperate need to write to the partition but still should be able to do this, no?

This is my fstab entry -
    /dev/hda2 /media/Windows ntfs rw,user,uid=1000,gid=500,umask=0222 0 0

Group 500 is a group I created especially. As I said, the mount works but still only 'read-only' access..... :x:

Thanks for looking people!

2. Addis

Addis The King

Isn't the read/write ntfs driver called ntfs-3g?

I came across the write driver in the kernel before, but AFAIK it only supported writing to files without changing the size, and some other limitations.

The 3g driver has full read/write support. Try mounting the fs with the -f option to mount. Then umount and try mounting normally.

3. Tech

Tech Padawan

Yep!

Although my experience of Linux isn't that of an expert I'm fairly sure that all distros will support reading NTFS partitions straight out of the box :p and indeed will set them up to be automatically mounted upon startup in /etc/fstab. To read/write you do need ntfs-3g but this will definitely be included with Debian.

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I think there are two drivers for mounting and accessing NTFS partitions in Linux- Fuse and 3g.

Anyway, the problem has been solved. It turns out that the NTFS partition was 'dirty' and needed a chkdsk performed. I could rant on for hours but most importantly - the problem is no longer.

The partition is now mounted and used with r/w access.... TF!!!

Thanks for looking!!! Happy new year.