problems w/wireless and attbi

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by xenopulse, Oct 31, 2002.

1. xenopulse

xenopulse Geek Trainee

Hi there,

I have a big problem, and I was wondering if anyone here could help me out. I recently acquired a D-Link DWL-500AP wireless access station and a DWL-A520 PCI wireless adapter. I plugged the AP into my hub, which is connected to the cable modem, and put the wireless card into my computer.

Now, supposedly the card and everything is installed correctly and working properly. Winipcfg shows that the card received an IP from attbi (at&t broadband internet). However, every time I try to start internet explorer or netscape navigator, they crash. So do Kazaa and every other internet application.

When I place an IP on the card myself, things work fine, but then I am obviously not connected to attbi, so I can't access the internet. File sharing with the other computer (that's hooked directly to the hub) works just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Was this working with a wired PCI card before, or are you just now getting onto broadband?
    What OS are you using?
    Have you tried going to D-Link's site and downloading the latest drivers?

3. xenopulse

xenopulse Geek Trainee

Thanks for the swift reply!

I was using a wired network adapter before, it's still in my compuer, but I disabled it in the device manager. I released the ip address of this wired adapter with winipcfg (after it was disconnected, however - does that matter?)

I am using windows98 SE. I did get the wmi and installed linkmon, and it shows a connection. I do have the latest drivers as well.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you don't need the wired NIC, you might wanna take that out. Even if you do, take it out and see if that fixes your problem. 98 could be confused by having a couple of NICs.

5. syngod

syngod Moderator

Do you have a static IP or dynamic and also by crash do you mean they're actually crashing or just won't connect to the internet?

6. xenopulse

xenopulse Geek Trainee

Hi,

I am currently at work, but as soon as I get home, I'll try taking the old ethernet card out.

As to your questions, syngod, they actually crash, i.e. explorer gives this "send error report to microsoft?" screen, and if I leave "restart internet explorer" checked, it will do that forever. netscape also has one of those error screens.

I have dynamic IPs, I believe, on leases lasting ten days or so. At least that's what it looks like in winipcfg.

Thanks,

7. syngod

syngod Moderator

I'd check the drivers for your PCI card. I had an issue with the D-link 650 cards in my laptop where they would blue screen the system which was resolved by removing the drivers that came with the card and downloading the latest of their website.

Apart from a driver issue and maybe a hardware compatibility issue like Big B suggested I can't see why online apps would crash.

8. xenopulse

xenopulse Geek Trainee

Hi again,

I physically removed the old ethernet card from my pc. I also re-installed the latest drivers, to be sure. But it still won't work. Interestingly, I can also no longer see the other computer that is connected to the hub (which is between the cable modem and the ap). However, the other computer sees mine, and can access my shared folders. This is just getting stranger every day.

Also, I found that when I try to open iexplore or navigator, it says that "rpcss" has caused the error and shuts the program down. This happens with all the internet appilcations.

I am still waiting to hear back from d-link...

9. syngod

syngod Moderator

BUG: RPCSS Invalid Page Fault in OLE32 When Starting Windows 98

The information in this article applies to:
    Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 on the following platforms: Win98
    Microsoft Visual C++, 32-bit Editions, version 6.0 on the following platforms: Win98
    Microsoft Visual Basic Learning, Professional, and Enterprise Editions for Windows, version 6.0 on the following platforms: Win98
    Microsoft Visual InterDev, version 6.0 on the following platforms: Win98
    Microsoft Visual J++, version 6.0 on the following platforms: Win98

SYMPTOMS
    After you install one of the developer tools listed above, the following error might occur when you restart Windows 98:

RPCSS caused an invalid page fault in module OLE32.DLL at 015f:65f1cd37.

CAUSE
    This error occurs on systems when all of the following are true:

Windows 98 is installed.
    Office 97 Service Pack 1 is installed.
    As ISP connection is configured through dial up networking.
    At least one of the developer products that are listed product section at the beginning of this article is installed.

RESOLUTION
    There are two potential workarounds for this problem:

Disable AutoDial. This is described in the general installation Readme called Install.htm (see MORE INFORMATION, below).
    If Windows 98 is configured to display a login dialog box, you can dismiss the dial-up connections dialog box before you dismiss the login dialog box to avoid the invalid page fault error.

STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article.

10. syngod

syngod Moderator

11. xenopulse

xenopulse Geek Trainee

Thanks for the article link.

I don't have dial-up on my computer at all, since it does not have a modem. Something seems to be wrong with the same process, but I don't think it's the same error (the article talks about visual basic or other compilers having to be installed, and I have none of those). Mine is also not a startup-error.

D-Link wrote me back and sent me a standard thing about resetting the AP. I don't see how that can work, given that the problem is with my computer and the adapter, not the AP. But we'll see when I get home later.

I really appreciate you guys trying to help out... it seems like this problem, because it's connected with several different companies
    (d-link, microsoft, at&t), is not something either one of those knows by themselves. That's what we get for putting so many different things together, I guess.

Thanks again.

12. syngod

syngod Moderator

Do you have Office 97 a Lexmark Z-31 printer or Netsonic installed? This also seems to be a known problem with both of those programs alone as well.

You should be able to rename or delete them in the command prompt without any harmful effects so you may wish to try that or if you don't feel comfortable deleting/renaming files it may just be that the file is corrupted so running the SFV utility on your Windows 98 cd may be able to repair it.

13. xenopulse

xenopulse Geek Trainee

Hey guys,

after talking to D-Link on the phone for a long time, and trying all sorts of things (including looking into the problems you posted here), I finally had to delete windows and re-install it. Everything's running smoothly now (except that the wireless connection fluctuates a lot, but maybe that's natural to wireless things). Nobody could figure out what it was, I am pretty damn sure it was Microsoft's fault one way or another.

Anyway, thanks again for trying to help.

14. syngod

syngod Moderator

Most likely, from reading up on it it appears to have something to do with BackOffice and is calling home.

While I don't have Win 95/98/NT installed to verify it, it does seem as though deleting it causes no side effects.

15. xenopulse

xenopulse Geek Trainee

BackOffice calling home? What exactly is that?

16. syngod

syngod Moderator

Backoffice is basically the MS Enterprise software rolled into 1 package, it's pretty much the latest NT, Exchange, SQL Server.

You can get more information on it here.

As far as it really calling home I can't verify it I'm just going by this thread.