Problems with Mandrake Move

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by srkitch, Feb 18, 2006.

1. srkitch

srkitch Geek Trainee

This is crazy, but i have two different dowloads of Mandrake Move (one is under the new Mandriva title) and they will run just fine on a stock Dell build that i have in my office at work. However, niether will load on the system described in my signature nor will they load on my HP laptop that is a stock build with P4M at 2.8 GHz. The boot on the laptop halts at the first screen where it loads Part1, part 2, and part 3. On the desktop system it balks at several points in the boot, sometimes it makes it further than others, but it never completes all the way to load up KDE. On the desktop it also takes away mouse motion as soon as the dialog appears. i.e. i can move the mouse when it shows the blank blue screen, but it freezes when the dialog appears. The really funny thing, I have a Knoppix CD-OS that i got with the "Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye" (trying to learn up the best i can and do it the right way) that will load up just fine. Any ideas as to why its being so picky?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

It's hard to say, but it could be a glitchy BIOS implementation on that motherboard. In that case, have you tried booting with the 'noapic' boot option? If the problem still persists, feel free to attach your boot logs as a text file and I'll be happy to pour over it when I get the opportunity.