Problems with my Pioneer AO4 DVD-RW

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by memoir, Jul 9, 2004.

1. memoir

memoir Geek Trainee

I have a Pioneer A04 with latest firmware. When trying to burn using DVD Architect 2.0 or Easy Media Creator 7 I get an error. EMC7 says "logical unit communication failure" and DVD Architect 2 basically says the same thing. I also tried burning audio CD's using EMC7 but had the same problem. I also have RecordNow DX (came with the drive) and I can burn data discs with that program. However, sometimes the program (RecordNow DX) seems to stall around 98%, even though the file has actually been burned.

I'm not sure what has happened but the trouble seemed to start after I had to reinstall windows xp pro because before the reinstall I was able to produce DVD's using DVD Architect 1.0 ( I didn't have EMC7 before that).

Could my drive be going bad? Is there anything I can do to verify/check that? I'm happy to replace it with the latest thing but how can I be sure if it is indeed going bad or is bad? BTW - Warranty long expired so I can't send it back.

Thanks for your help!!
    -memoir

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Why did you have to go back and reinstall WinXP? Do you have the latest drivers for your motherboard?

3. memoir

memoir Geek Trainee

I updated my mobo drivers but what fixed the problem is changing the transfer mode from DMA5 to PIO(Device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers>Secondary IDE Channel>Advanced Settings>Device 1). Now it works fine. I had to do that when I first got the system two years ago but totally forgot that that made it work.

-memoir