PSU calculator

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by zeus, Jul 1, 2006.

1. zeus

zeus out of date

eXtreme OuterVision :: eXtreme PSU Calculator

Recommends 391w for me. Im on the edge :confused: Depends what I set the Surge Compensation and Capacitor Aging to. Its on 25% and 20%. Or 358w if I dont overclock.

2. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

My recommended PSU wattage: 221w (I only ever overclock the graphics card).

3. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Mine is 283W.

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

5. Merlin

Merlin Geek Trainee

496W :eek:

6. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

What do you have to get that????? :confused:

7. zeus

zeus out of date

Ive just tried this one.... It says the willamette is the 400fsb and Northwood is 533mhz. Ive got a Northwood 400fsb... My estimate could be out by 36w!:eek:hah:

Surely a psu with a good current and 350w - 400w max can still do the job for most desktops? I remember a few years ago it was advised not to buy a psu with more than 400w, I suppose because of quality, but its not like PSUs are new highly technical pieces of kit!

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Modern ones have lots of features that PSU's a few years back just didn't have.
    *Adjustable fan speed (manual - a controller is sometimes supplied to be fitted in a front bay or sometimes they have the controller on the back)
    *Adjustable fan speed (automatic - on my PSU the 2nd fan only turns on if the PSU is under stress and is likely to overheat)
    *Some PSU's have a feature where the fan stays on for a number of minutes after the system is shut down to prived extra cooling.
    *Dual 12V Rails means less stress on the PSU to supply more power to devices needing 12V.

PSU's ave got a lot more advanced, there's a lot of emphasis put on being efficient and most of all being able to provide stable power under load. Those things wouldn't be acheived without more advanced technology in the PSU itself.

9. zeus

zeus out of date

To be honest they sound like useless features. I dont know why anyone would want to turn a fan down. Having an option to keep a fan spinning after the PC is turned off is basically admitting that the cooling isnt adequete in the first place. I wouldnt have thought a computer PSU is going to increase in temperature after the fan stops. Its a bit big for than sort of occurance. Maybe I can be proved wrong but on turning computers off and messing about inside for however long its something ive never noticed happen. Maybe a spinning fan over a cpu would be of use though.

How to dual rails work? Is it effectively a second PSU within the PSU providing a 12v line which can be used on important consumers, in our case a CPU and HDD say? I agree that is a good thing.

As to my last point in my other post I meant its not technology advancing in PSUs, more that computer PSUs are increasing in quality and are using features other PSUs have had for years. Im sure high end servers from the mid ninties had better PSUs than whats availible for desktops now.

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

11. Addis

Addis The King

Not really. You could have adequate cooling, running your system fine at 40c during gaming as all the heat is being effectively dissipated by the fans. As soon as the fan stops, the CPU/heatsink have thermal inertia which would increase temperatures higher. Higher temps lead to shorter lifespans.

12. zeus

zeus out of date

Wanna buy it? Ive got triplexdvd.co.uk too with a supplier providing about a thousands dvds. And ultimate-fighter.co.uk but that need redesigning. Its shit. No outlay on any, all need payment processsing though :(

anyway
    Like I said "Maybe a spinning fan over a cpu would be of use though"

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

What Addis said is true, after the systems shuts down the fans are no longer spinning and yet the components may still be warm, with no air circulating they may get hotter.

[ot]
    You own those sites?!
    I thought you just found the image there or something...
    [/ot]

14. zeus

zeus out of date

Yeah, I spent ages on the toy one as well. Ive continued to update it but never bothered to upload the updates. The one that is up is about 6 months out of date. Looks a lot better now. I ran out of server space and there is no point in paying for summit I wont use (properly)

To be honest since Ive got the hang of php Ive thought about setting them up and selling them on ebay. I just need to get to the end of this college year before I get the time. Might be a good money maker for when im in uni. Should get a few hundred id imagine for everything you need.

Anyway, thats enough of that..... PSUs, aint they great, couldnt live without one!

15. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Also with those calculators, take what they say with a pinch of salt, they're never going to be 100% accurate, they may say you need 250W but that's bare minimum (a 250W unit may not even be putting out 250W so keep that in mind too) - I'd rather run a rig with a named branded PSU that cost me more and is over-specced for what I needed than skimp on a cheap generic unit. Just the thought of having clean stable power makes me slightly happier than things'll run smoothly.

[ot]
    I know bad generic PSU's, one blew on me when I got my case - luckily it didnt take anything with it, since then I bought my lovely Tagan unit ^_^
    [/ot]

16. Addis

Addis The King

Zeus, is it just me or does it seem like you run a website that sells erotic lingerie and sex toys?

17. zeus

zeus out of date

Just you dude.

18. Merlin

Merlin Geek Trainee

Nothing special,

AMD 4000+ san Diego 1.40v
    2 sticks DDR SDRAM
    Single Nvidia GeForce 7800GTX 490Mhz
    2 SATA HDD's
    1 DVD RW
    Sound Blaster w/ Front Bay