PSU noise question

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by LTD, Oct 26, 2003.

1. LTD

LTD Guest

Alright, I'd really like it if someone who KNOWS PSUs can answer my question . . . . .

I have a TOPOWER 420 watt PSU. Does the job ver well, but it's bloody loud - no matter what the setting. I plan on keeping this PSU, and I don't plan to spend any more money on my rig. I've tried a few home-made sound dampener options, and they're alright, but still doesn't make much of a difference.

My PSU has 3 settings: Auto, Medium, Low. All are loud . . . . but, I noticed that as I slide the switch to whatever setting, there is a point where it appears that the fan turns off right before it hits the next setting - that is, I leave the switch between the two settings and it seems the fan is off. It isn't atually, off, however. It's still spinning, but at a speed (lower, I assume) at which it is barely audible. The fan on the bottom of the PSU (inisde the case) does not spin at this point. The outer one does.

I know, of course, that this isn't recommended, and that I can easily cause some serious damage. But, the outer fan DOES spin, albeit slower, and at least within the first 6 or so minutes of doing this, the PSU doesn't seem to heat up much. Right now, it's at the auto setting. So, if I slow down the fan with the above method, am I REALLY running a serious risk? Does the PSU absolutely NEED a fan to run at high speeds to keep from frying?

I know the obvious answer is to not mess with it, but if I can cheat a little bit . . . . . . .

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Well I do recommend that you keep both fans spinning.

However, what you can try to do is change the fans inside the psu with more silent ones.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you don't have enough juice drawn from the PSU, it won't get that hot. You might see if you can easily replace that one fan, however. As long as you've got one fan removing the heat and aren't overloading the unit, you'll be fine.