PSU problem?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by unionjack, Oct 31, 2005.

1. unionjack

unionjack Geek Trainee

Hi guys, had a good read through the forum to see if this had been covered before but could'nt find anything the same so sorry if it has been covered already.

I have recently bought a new 6600GT G/Card but after installing had a problem! Every 2 days or so the fuse in the power lead blows and i have to replace it, this always seems to happen whilst i'm on Battlefied 2.
    At the time i was running an XP2600/Gigabyte M/B that was at least 2 years old so i thought i would go a step further and replace the M/B, CPU and Memory thinking it might be that. After the new parts were installed i found i had the same problem! I must admit that the PSU i am using is a cheap 400w called Q-Tec.

I have ordered a new PSU anyway (Enermax Noisetaker EG495AX-VE 485W) which i hope will be good enough.

Is this a typical PSU problem? or have i ordered the wrong part?

My comp specs:

AMD (Venice) Athlon 64 3500+ 939pin 512Kb L2 Cache 90nm
    Asus A8V Deluxe Socket-939 VIA/KT800Pro
    Kingston 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz Non-ECC CL3 (3-3-3) 184pin DIMM's (Kit of 2 x 512mb)
    Nvidia 6600GT
    80Gb H/Drive

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Most probably PSU if it's a Q-Tec unit, honestly even if it isn't you've done a good thing by getting a new Enermax one...

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

The problem is definately your PSU. In fact, we have a few dozen threads on this forum about Q-Tec PSUs and why you should avoid them at all costs. If you don't have any system damage as a result, you're one of the lucky ones for sure. You can get a Thermaltake 420 PurePower for about $35-US, I don't know about on your side of the pond but I'd imagine it'd be relatively cheap there as well. We even have an article about PSUs stuck right at the top of the forum you just posted in: Power Supplies and You, or Why You Don't Want a Cheap PSU

Best of luck,
    -AT

4. unionjack

unionjack Geek Trainee

Thanks guys, with any luck the Enermax should be delivered either tomorow or wednesday. I'll be worried until i get the new one in now! ;)

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Glad to help! We do our best!
    :good:

6. Anti-Trend

No problem, it's what we do. :) As for the PSU, good choice. Enermax is usually my first recommendation if you have the cash for it. If you have strange issues after the new PSU is in, the old one may have damaged system components. :( Be sure and drop us a line if that happens, and we'll help you to troubleshoot.

All the best,
    -AT

7. unionjack

unionjack Geek Trainee

Hi again,

Just fitted the new Enermax and everything seems ok so far(30mins) :)
    Could you just verify these stats for me please if you can? I took these from the Bios screen and wondered if they seem about right?

CPU temp: 40-42/C 104-15/F
    M/B temp: 26/C 78/F

CPU fan: 3145 RPM
    Power fan: 1614 RPM

VCore Voltage: 1.456v
    3.3v Voltage: 3.312v
    5v Voltage: 5.134v
    12v Voltage: 12.224v

Sorry if i am a pain but i like to know everything is ok! ;)

Thank you

8. Anti-Trend

Everything looks very healthy from there. Looks like your new PSU has very strong rails, typical of Enermax. :)

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah Enermax are great PSU's and those values look good, hope things turn out alright! :good:

10. unionjack

unionjack Geek Trainee

Great guys, many thanks for your reassurance and all your help ;)
    Till the next time!
    Bye :)