PSU regulator problem assumption.

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by brooksy2010, Sep 16, 2010.

1. brooksy2010

brooksy2010 Geek Trainee

Over the last week Windows XP had started to lock up after some minutes and in some instances lock up on the start-up sound and looping a fraction of the sound, just like a scratched audio CD track. On touching the area close to the power plug to the drive, it seemed a bit hot.

The locking up had grown progressively worse until the system would not report any beeps in POST but the PSU and CPU fans still spin with MOBO LED still on. The MOBO battery has been swapped and checked and these seem fine.

I've changed the HD to another machine and it works fine so I assume it's something to do with the PSU but the only dealings with PSUs in the past has been the fan running or no fan and the smell of bakelite from burning chips on drives and cards, so this is new to me.

Many thanks for any replies,

Richard.

2. cjtech_007

cjtech_007 Geek Trainee

Disconnect HDD, DVD and etc... only the MOBO connected to the Power supply try to Power on. Try also resetting the CMOS.

3. brooksy2010

brooksy2010 Geek Trainee

Done that too! Also removed memory so just MOBO and PSU (no display card) to see if it complains but the same result with fan running.

One other thing. The drive activity light at the front is continually on even with the setup as above.