Psu

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by thomasbuonoman, Oct 22, 2006.

?

How many wattages is your PSU

Poll closed Nov 21, 2006.
  1. 100-250 watts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 250-350 watts

28.6%
  3. 350-450 watts

14.3%
  4. 450-550 watts

57.1%
  5. 550-650 watts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. thomasbuonoman

thomasbuonoman Geek Trainee

Hi,
    I am looking to buy a new PSU. I was wondering if the following specs of the PSU will be compatible with the specs of my PC.
    Note: Please Click on the attachment (PSU.doc) to read the rest of the thread. Sorry for the inconvience.

Attached Files:

• PSU.doc
      File size:
      30 KB
      Views:
  2. zeus

zeus out of date

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

A few suggestions that would do the job:

-Enermax EG565P-VE
    -Antec TruePower TPII-550
    -OCZ PowerStream 520
    -Tagan TG-480-U22
    -Fortron Blue Storm AX-500
    -Fortron AX450-PN
    -Seasonic S12-500/600
    -Silverstone (anything 500W+)
    -XClio 450W and up (they're the same as Antec units)

4. thomasbuonoman

So are u saying that the PSU I picked out was bad and inadeqaute.
    P.S. You didn't answer my question about whether I should have the CPU dryer vent thinh.

5. zeus

zeus out of date

The document....

It certainly packs some punch on the 12v but a high current isnt everything.
    There are a bunch of branded manufacturers which people follow, its probably best to stick with them.

And whats a CPU dryer thing?! Your CPU shouldnt be wet! :)

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Do you have a link to the PSU? While the specs look good and will work with your system, you don't want to end up getting a Q-tec or Powmax unit over an Antec or Enermax one.

I've never used an air vent before, so I really can't comment on the effectiveness of using one.

7. thomasbuonoman

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I haven't seen a whole lot about Logisys PSU's, but what I have has been in a negative sense. I'm not sure if they're on the same level as Powmax and Q-tec, but they're pretty low-grade units from what I can gather. I'm skeptical that a $50 power supply is going to provide 550W of power, and if it does, it'll do it at 25*C instead of 50*C--pretty much impossible unless you're in sub-zero temperatures. Unless rebates are involved, I can't see anyone finding a good 500W+ unit for much less than $80. Realistically, you're going to want to look at PSU's in the range of $80-120. Most good units will be in the 500-550W range, give or take a few total watts.
    Xoxide has a pretty good selection of case modding parts, but their selection of good PSU's (not to mention the pricing) is pretty weak. Newegg has a very good selection or more good PSU's at better prices overall.
    FSP and XClio are probably your best bets for a money crunch as they have a couple good 400-450W units that would power your current box just fine.

9. thomasbuonoman

Thanks, I will check out Newegg. The only reason I was so pushy about xoxide is I am buying 99% of my stuff on there and I wanted to buy everything all in one place but If I can't than oh well!Also I was trying to maintain a budget but $30 won't hurt. Newegg sells a similiar PSU and has some contradicting Customer Reviews. I will most likely purchase one of your recommended brands but just take a look at the reviews and tell me what u think. Customer Reviews Of LOGISYS Computer PS550AC 550Watts Power Supply - Retail
    Sorry For any trouble, Tom
    P.S. Your Awesome

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Good power supply reviews are hard to come by, and involve actually loading up the PSU with enough of a draw to see if they hold up under the advertised wattage on the rails. Customer reviews are fine for a quick check, but I doubt that they've hooked the unit up for heavy testing. I don't know if they've even whipped out a multimeter for it.

I'd forgotten why Logisys ened up on the un-recommended list in the PSU sticky, but I found some info (added in at the bottom). They're made by the same company that made the newer Ultra X-Connects, Youngyear. These ones blew up under load in two reviews I'm aware of. The power supply is the last thing you want to cut corners on.