q9400 + xfx n750i overclock

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by danieldzc, May 6, 2009.

1. danieldzc

danieldzc Geek Trainee

So let me start with the fact that i am not really into hardware and I have never been really overclocking. I did research and I did read many articles about overclocking, but it seems that it is black magic for me and my computer.

My hardware:
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66GHz
    Memory:
    - 2x 1GB Kingston PC2-8500
    - 2x 2GB Geil PC2-8500
    Motherboard: XFX nForce 750i SLI

Do you need other spec for overclocking RAM and CPU? Let me know so I will post them!

My FSB frequency is 1333MHz, CPU mmultiplier is x8, memory speed somehow is 800MHz (PC2-8500 should run at 1066).

In bios overclocking settings I can set 2 different frequencies: for memory and for fsb. Changing fsb speed there change only cpu speed and fsb:dram timing so memory speed stays 800. Changing memory speed changes fsb:dram timings again, so without changing fsb we have new memory speed. Am I thinking right?

For some reason when I change memory speed from 800 to 1066 system won't run, I am getting some drivers errors in windows at boot time. 963 was working tho...
    When I try to overclock CPU from 2.66 to 3GHz (fsb to 1500MHz)... I have to reset bios to safe settings cause nothing runs at all... I have seen ppl running that cpu at much higher speeds than 3GHz, and my motherboard supposed to support fsb up to 1800MHz (that would be 3.6GHz cpu with multiplier x8).

What am I doing wrong?Any sugestions?

Thanks for time spent to read that and any help!

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

when you up the frequency of your fsb and ram, sometimes you will aslo have to increase voltages. reason for your system not posting on 1500mhz fsb is most likely down to voltage. and also for errors in windows when memory bus is clocked to 1066mzh will also most likely be down to voltage basically it's instability issues. so can you tell us your current vcore voltage and vdram voltage and we will work form there.

3. danieldzc

danieldzc Geek Trainee

core voltage is 1.080V
    memory voltage 1.90V

my motherboard in overclocking settings in bios for cpu voltage allows me to change it between 0.0000 and 0.3000V only, so i guess it will be some kind of adding what i set to that 1.080?

thanks for reply!

4. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

try setting FSB to 1500mhz and vcore to 1.25v if no luck with that up your vcore to 1.3v

5. danieldzc

danieldzc Geek Trainee

fsb speed is 1500MHz
    nothing runs with either 1.25V or 1.3V, I have to use reset cmos button

on my motherboard i see voltage 1.08 so in overclocking i am adding 0.22V or 0.17V, what should give wanted voltages

6. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

try vcore 1.35v if that doesn't work try 1.38v

Oh yea another thing i forgot to ask was, does your motherboard have FSB jumpers? some motherboards you have jumpers on them to set the maximum FSB. mine has it in order for me to overclock to 1600mhz I have to adjust the jumpers on the motherboard to support upto 1600mhz

7. danieldzc

danieldzc Geek Trainee

Working on 1.38V and fsb 1500MHz, running prime and watching core temp now...
    Next step if it works now I will try to get more of cpu, then overclock ram...
    Thanks for your help Bobby! I will get back to that post later.

[EDIT] It has got jumper to enable overclocking settings, i have moved that jumper already.

8. danieldzc

danieldzc Geek Trainee

Ok. Now that I have runned prime for like 30minutes, cpu temp didnt jump above 40deg C and no errors appeared I have tried to rise the fsb freq a little.
    So fsb 1500MHz + VCore 1.38V is working
    fsb 1600MHz + VCore 1.38V is not! I can't rise voltage more, the 1.38V is max on that mb for that cpu.
    I have tried rising:
    -VTT FSB voltage a little (from 1.200 to 1.300 max, in 0.025 intervals each time)
    -NB (1.24 to 1.32)
    -SB (1.50 to 1.56)
    Does't help. Is that all I can get from that CPU on that motherboard then?
    Looking at IntelĀ® Core?2 Quad Processor Q9400 - SLB6B max voltage for my cpu is 1.3625V, I am already running it at 1.38V... Is that safe if temp is alright?

9. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

that must be the highest fsb you can get for that cpu of yours because from the link you sent the maximum it can hit is 1.3625v which it's already over by almost .02 which isn't alot. so yea unfortunatly you can't overclock the fsb anymore, you could try upping the cpu multiplier? what's your current cpu multiplier set on? x8? if so up it to x9 but sometimes that also requires a vcore increase, but you could give it ago and see what happens and you could possibly get to 3.3Ghz.

10. danieldzc

danieldzc Geek Trainee

Multiplier is locked to x8 and I can't put it higher.
    Ahh I am very disapointed you know. Look at this Q9400 Overclocks - EXTREME Overclocking Forums ! ppl are running it at 3.6GHz! And mine would be 3GHz top? Probably because of motherboard?

11. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

"I have a Q9400 running 3.6ghz on water. 1.3v in the bios"

Thats what one of the guys said on the other forum.
    It's luck of the draw some cpu's overclock better than overs.
    If the cpu is locked at x8 multiplier that mean's he had his fsb set at 1800mhz (450x4)
    450x8 = 3.6ghz
    and he had his vcore set as low as 1.3v and got that frequency.
    where as your's doesnt even hit 1500mhz at 1.3v
    so it's gotta be cpu.

12. danieldzc

danieldzc Geek Trainee

Ahh bloody hell I am unlucky then!
    Thanks for your help anyway!