Quake 3/MOHAA problem

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by harrack52, Jan 13, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

When I start quake 3 I get this message at the console : GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem.

I get the same message when trying to run Medal of Honor : Allied Assault.

I have Win XP. Is it possible to run these games under win XP, if yes, how ?

2. SweatyGangsta

SweatyGangsta Geek Trainee

u should be able to play those games no probs with xp.
    sounds like some kind of driver problems. try gettings the latest drivers for your graphics card and get all XP fixes.

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I already had all xp fixes and I'm using XP drivers for my card which are 2.9.5.8 . If I use the latest from nvidia.com(41.09) the games become very very slow. With 41.09 my score with 3DMark2001SE is 820 and with the XP ones the score is 2888.

4. syngod

syngod Moderator

In your speed post you mentioned using the default XP drivers. I don't believe they have OpenGL support built into them. Try grabbing the latest 30.xx series drivers or use the drivers Big B sent and it should fix your problem.

The default XP drivers are very basic and pretty much only designed to get your display working until you can download drivers from the manufacturer.

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I solved the problem by doing the simplest thing : installing the drivers provided with the mainboard !!

Again, thanks for all the help.