Quake 4

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by pelvis_3, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

To me the best thing about Quake2 was playing the game all the way through on hard cooperatively with a bunch of buddies... Does Quake 4 have coop play? If so, I would definately buy it, since it is native Linux and all. :)

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

i heard quake4 starts where quake2 leaves off. I'm not too sure about coop but there's a pretty fun multi.

I've been running at 1024x768 at high settings on my computer with NGO optimized drivers. I get from lowest 15 to 60 FPS. NGO drivers are bomb.

3. Anti-Trend

Nope, no cooperative play in Quake 4, guess I'll be waiting until it hits the bargain bin before I grab a copy. For good coop play, guess I'll have to stick to Alien Swarm for UT2k4. :)

4. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

You've got to remember you don't have the best video card in the world, so it won't play all games at the highest settings. Just becuase it cost you 150 bucks or whatever means nothing. The game is using the Doom 3 engine which demands a very sweet video card!
    It's a high powered game, remember that, plus your using AGP :)

5. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

maybe its itme for me to upgrade, start selling stuff on ebay again, maybe next year i will use some of my EMA money and upgrade computer, 3500+, x1800xl, (same value ram) same everyhting, just new cpu/mobo/gpu.

i might get some liquid cooling on the graphics card, see what it can do.

in quake 4, if you have settings on maximum and like 1280x1024 res, does it auto force 6X AA and 16XAF, becouse i forced it in the drivers too, so will it of been double AA, and AF?

6. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

It's not possible to have double AA and AF. If the settings were forced in the driver control panel, then the settings in-game are null and void until you change them back in the drivers!

7. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Indeed it does, in fact the guy from Quake 2 is even mentioned in the beginning of Quake 4 as the lone marine who penetrated the Strogg defences and killed the Makron.

8. Willz

is that with or without AA and AF?

if i play on high settings, and max reseloution and no AA or AF i get about 40-200fps, i dont see the point of AA and AF in quake 4 now, as i dont notice any difference that makes it worth having AA or AF.

9. Anti-Trend

Not the same guy I think; I'm pretty sure it just says "a marine".

10. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

The refer to the marine from Quake 2, as he was the only one. But in Quake 4 you play a different guy, from the Elite Rhino Squad, guy named Matthew Kain.

11. Fred

Fred Moderator

Well, AT and I just played Quake 4 last night, and I dont know why you guys think it's so horrible. I dont think it's the best game I ever played, but it's certainly better than a lot of games out right now. It's not so much different than Quake 2. And yes, it IS quite a bit like Doom 3, but there's a good reason for that: it's the Doom3 engine. Also, they seemed to have cleaned it up quite a bit. Anyways, I'm not saying its the best, but it's certainly worth a go.

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

If I get an Xbox 360 it will probably be on my list. Glad you approve Fred.

13. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

One thing I will say that is heaps better than Doom 3. The flashlight is ON THE GUN this time. :D

I don't know what it is, I play the game and I just feel... unimpressed. Something about every game I play impresses me, even the physics of HL2 impressed me, but I can't find anything that does it for me on Q4.

14. Willz

Doom 3 is better than quake 4, everyhting is good with quake 4, but i feel now, that there is somthing missing, it feels empty :\

15. Anti-Trend

Quake 4 Mini-Review

Ahh sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that your character in Q4 was the same guy as in Q2.

Incidentally, I played Quake4 for about 6 hours last night and I must say it's a very underrated game. I do have a few gripes with it, but a very fun & challenging game with a pretty heavy atmosphere. One of my biggest gripes is that some of the weapons feel woefully underpowered compared to their equivalents in Quake4, an example being the rail gun. The rail gun was something to be feared in Q2, gibbing most targets in one shot. In Q4, it takes 2 or 3 hits from the same gun to put down the weakest baddy, making the gun mostly useless due to its slow rate of fire (well, on 'hard' anyway; can't speak for other modes of play). My biggest gripe of all was the exclusion of a cooperative play mode, which was one of the shining points of Quake2.

As far as the good points of gameplay, the engine is more polished and streamlined than the Doom3 engine upon which it's based, so much so that it runs extremely playably even on my underpowered FX5900 in Linux. Also the gameplay is much more challenging than its predecessor, and some of the boss fights remind me of those immensely rewarding boss fights found in old Konami games. Overall, I'd say Quake4 is not going to go down in history, but it's an intense action game with excellent graphics, and well worth playing.

-AT

16. ninja fetus

I haven't bothered touching AA/AF I can't really see much of a visual improvement through any game using it and the performance decreases are terrible.

17. ninja fetus

I feel the game's rail gun is underpowered also. Slow rate of fire with a cripplingly small clip renders the gun useless unless you just polish off a clip and need to cycle to a loaded gun quickly. I personally like the dark matter gun. Yes I do use cheats, I had to use god mode when protecting the EMP to the nexus. One thing lead to another and "give all" was a little spot of sunshine.

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I know what you mean about AA and AF, some games just aren't worth bothering with those options when you can barely play it in the first place, happened to me in HL2. I'd rather run something on high detail and no AA than 6x AA and medium. And with 95% closed interior spaces AF is pretty much useless in games like Doom 3 but in FarCry it does make a difference. Jaggies were everywhere too so I could see using both as it can actually improve gameplay when you can make out baddies without having to scope though all the wavy and choppy lines.