RAID disks match?

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by srkitch, Feb 14, 2006.

1. srkitch

srkitch Geek Trainee

do the SATA disks you use for a RAID array have to be a matched set, i.e. same brand and model. i know they probably don't *have* to be the same, but is there any performance to be gained when they do. my problem is that i bought a new maxtor DiamondMax 10 100 gb drive and now you can't find those hardly anywhere. they were at such a good price that they've all sold out in most places and i want to match it with a western digital SATA drive (either 120 or 80 gb, either way i lose 20 gb, but i'm ok with that).

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

No, but if you really want to get the full benefit of them, then you're best off to have drives of the same size and speed. In otherwords, you're looking at less than optimal circumstances if you'd run a 5400RPM with a 7200RPM drive and/or a 60GB drive with a 100GB drive. RAID levels base off the smallest drive size in the array. For example: RAID 0 will use space equal to (number of drives in the array) x (size of smallest drive in the array).
    Another thing that can also affect performance is two different companies. The drives may not have the same electronics and/or programming, so while one may have some newer technology, it may be left unused or ineffective while paired with a different hard drive.

3. srkitch

srkitch Geek Trainee

i decided to go with a DiamondMax 1o 80 GB and just cough up the space for now. i bought the 100 GB forlike $52 as oem and now they've bsically disappeared, even Maxtor doesn't have them in their own store. at least this way i'll have the same company and series so hopefully the spave is the only thing that will be less than optimal. thanks for the advice.