Re: Fried PSU???? Or Not

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by onestepcloser, Mar 18, 2006.

1. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Geek Trainee

Fried PSU???? Or Not

hey guys im having an almost similar problem as this gentleman on this pc im using now. It has been running fine for idk about a year now and then one day all signal to monitor was lost cdrom light came on and stayed on, cpu light came on and stayed on. Apparently it crashed. Ive tried changing out the video out cable on my video card that didnt work. But alas while laying on its side it never crashes. not an hour after i stand it upright it will do the same crash. after restarting it wont run unless laying on its side. very strange behavior occuring as this pc hasnt done that ever. could a loose screw cause this?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Fried PSU???? Or Not

It's certainly possible, but not necessarily the same case.

I moved your post to it's own thread to avoid confusion with JP4LSU's.

3. onestepcloser

Fried PSU???? Or Not

i just went thru and removed all my hardware and made sure all the mounting studs are in their proper place and installed all screws, but while i was going thru the hardware i found a piece of alluminum foil on the motherboard. ive ofc since removed the piece of aluminum as it was sitting on a small black cube with three connections coming out of it. Ive put it all back together and so far i havent had a crash. 10 minutes and counting. im thinking my piece of foil (god knows how it got there) was somehow grounding something out. thank the bandwidth gods i didnt damage my system from this carelessness

:) :eek: :cool: :cool: :eek: :)

4. onestepcloser

Fried PSU???? Or Not

uhoh update it crashed again. now that i think about it i installed a netgear wireless network adapter before the upright problem. i restarted the pc and it hung still, so i proceeded to remove it and hit power and it booted fully. Unfortunately i had to reinstall it to get on here as i am away from home. I take my pc to work with me and this motel only has wireless net. im n ot entirely sure that this is the problem as of now. Have you guys heard any horror stories about netgears hardware? Thanks

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Fried PSU???? Or Not

Not really. I mean, I have heard of an older wired LAN card causing some issue with a motherboard using the AMD760 chipset, but we're talking 4-5 years ago.

Now, there could be some driver issue I'm not aware of, or a conflict with another device. It may be as simple as the card not liking the particular slot it's in.

6. onestepcloser

Fried PSU???? Or Not

thanks for the help thus far B. Appreciate it. Last night when i came home, the netgear card had an internal error and disconnected from the network. So i broke down and bought a linksys wireless adapter. So far no drops and apparently i get amuch better signal, and best of all the pc hasnt crashed as i mentioned before.

7. onestepcloser

Fried PSU???? Or Not

well, i guess it wasnt the fricking net card, it crashed today in fact 5 minutes ago standing upright. its now lying on its side agian and running just fine. i dont know what the deal is, anyone familiar?

heres what i have
    is7 motherboard by Abitusa
    Intel Pentium 3.0 800fsb 1mb
    1 gig of paired ram from corsair pc3200
    1 200 gig hd
    ati aiw 9600XT
    soundblaster audigy 4
    dvdrw nec
    antec powersupply model #sp-350 max output 350 watts

thanks again

onestepcloser to being confused

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Fried PSU???? Or Not

Do you know what core your Pentium 4 uses? If not download [google]CPU-Z[/google] and see what it shows. If it's the Prescott core, that could be sucking more power than the CPU can give during peak operation. It'll be more on the fence if the core is the Northwood chip...however, based on the randomness of the crashing, I'm beginning to suspect that it may be your PSU isn't enough. While you're at that, make sure any power connections on the motherboard are plugged in. If they're not, that could also explain why you're running into stability issues.

Have you checked your CPU temps? If you're getting close to 60*C, you may have a cooling issue.

9. onestepcloser

Fried PSU???? Or Not

yep apparently it is a prescott heres a copy paste of the cpuz

its pretty loong ill just post the first two things aside from these codes

Number of CPUs 2 (1 Physical)

CPU #1
    APIC ID 0
    Name Intel Pentium 4
    Code name Prescott
    Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    Family/Model/Stepping F41
    Extended Family/Model 0/0
    Package mPGA-478
    Core Stepping E0
    Technology 90nm
    Instructions Sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
    Features
    Clock Speed 3158.8 MHz
    Clock multiplier x15.0
    Front Side Bus Frequency 210.6 MHz
    Bus Speed 842.4 MHz
    Stock frequency 3000 MHz
    L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L1 Trace Cache 12 KĀµops, 8-way set associative
    L2 Cache 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L2 Speed 3158.8 MHz (Full)
    L2 Location On Chip
    L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
    L2 Bus Width 256 bits

Northbridge Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P rev. A2
    Southbridge Intel 82801EB (ICH5) rev. 02
    Graphic Interface AGP
    AGP Revision 3.0
    AGP Transfert Rate 8x
    AGP SBA supported, enabled
    AGP Aperture 128 MBytes
    Memory Type DDR
    Memory Size 1024 MBytes
    Memory Frequency 210.6 MHz (1:1)
    CAS# 3.0
    RAS# to CAS# 3
    RAS# Precharge 3
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 8
    Performance Mode disabled

10. onestepcloser

Fried PSU???? Or Not

ok guys its official it was indeed the power supply, apparently one of the rails burnt up on it due to it running at its max out put for so long, i bought a temporary power supply till i can get around to newegg and get a high watter there. Thanks for all of the help.

11. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Fried PSU???? Or Not

Dont be looking for a power supply that has a high wattage, if you get a cheapo 600watt power supply, it wont even do as good as a 450watt tagen psu, you need a decent power supply with high voltage on the +12v rail, its better if they have dual 12v rails though.

good brands of powersupply are enermax, tagen, akasa, seasonic, thermaltake and antec.

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Fried PSU???? Or Not

Yeah, the Prescott uses more juice than it's Northwood predecessor, and it could've eaten your PSU's rail.

I don't know what PSU you got, but the Fortron AX400-PN or AX450-PN run $40 and $50, respectively, at Newegg. The amps on those suckers are incredible, and just looking at those, either PSU could've easily been passed off as a 500W or higher power supply.