Reasonable Temperatures?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by UnSeEn, Aug 18, 2006.

1. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Hey all.

So, I'm happy with my new computer, but I COULD be happier. So Exfoliate and I get together and we overclock my system. Cautiously, of course. We went inside my BIOS and changed the CPU Frequency from 200 to 210, thus boosting my mobo from 2.2 Ghz to 2.31 Ghz. Not a huge upgrade, but decent nonetheless. My normal temp. is now about 38 oC, and about 49 oC when I'm playing games.

My question is: how much MORE do you think I can increase my CPU Frequency without having a large problem? I'm a bit scared of this whole thing, and if I happened to fry my mobo, I would be MOST ANGERED. Also, is there anything else I can change other than CPU Freq.?

By the way, my mobo is an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe. I don't know if that information means squat for you ;)

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

As long as the CPU's temp stays under 60*C, you're fine. I wouldn't up the voltage unless you need to for stability in your OC. Extra voltage will increase the CPU's heat output, so keep that in mind.

Pound it with Prime 95 for 24 hours straight, and see if the OC holds without errors.

3. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Is it just me or is there no CPU posted there. It's an AMD 64 of some type but a model number would be nice.

4. Addis

Addis The King

Don't increase the core voltage unless you're experiencing stability issues. There was a train of thought that increased core voltage would sometimes shorten the lifespan of the CPU, but that may be because of insufficient cooling.

As B said, keep the temps under control, under 40 idle and under 60 load would be alright.

5. zeus

zeus out of date

memtest is good test for your memory too.
    Though to be honest ive had no errors with prime95 or memtest but still had crashes when loading games etc so run your heaviest programs before deeming your overclock stable.

And yeah, I agree only use extra voltage to increase stability, not frequency.

6. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Thanks everyone! By the way, my CPU is an AMD 64 3500+, which is now 2.31 Ghz thanks to overclocking. So it seems I'm good to go then. I doubt I'll do much more overclocking until I put in my fan controller or get more fans/cooling devices. This baby came with quite a few anyway, but I'd hate to have it sizzle. Thanks for all the help.

7. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

my computer got to 2700mhz from 2.4ghz and i didnt have any instability issues but i didnt test it withe p95 or anything either, well only for bout 10mins though.

But the thing is that my mobo doesnt post when the fsb is set higher than 225mhz, and i have to push the reset button and then it posts, a review on this mobo had the same problem although their oc was 100% stable and no matter what they did, increase core voltage to max and memory voltage to max it still wouldnt post without a reset with the reset button.

8. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Izzy, is your HT on 4x or 5x, try setting your Ht to 3x then setting it to 225Mhz, it should post :)

9. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

That's quite an increase! Did you see any improvements on games/overall speed? I doubt I would see much. 1 Ghz isn't that much of an increase, but I'll work my way up. I added too many factors to my experiment, though. The same day I OCed my mobo, I updated my extremely old video card drivers for my 6800 GS and now Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfare runs excellently. Amazing how much new drivers help...

10. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I hope you meant an OC of .1 GHz. Anyways, I have the exact same CPU as you (3500+), which natively runs at 2.2 GHz, and I have hit 2.7 GHz without too much trouble. the only problem is that if you leave it on for long periods of time (24+ hours) then you can start to get lockups. I might have gotten it higher but I stopped overvolting at 1.5 v. 2.7 would be a good speed to overclock to on the fly, that is if Abit's uber retarded uGuru crap had an x64 version. That and other things are why I NEVER recommend Abit to anyone. Ever. But anyways. 2.5 GHz is usually very stable, and many people (including me) can run 2.6 24/7/365 with no issue. The 3500+ is insane when it comes to overclocking (even better since it only costs $90 now).

11. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

i did set ht at 4 but im pretty sure i did try it at 3 but not certain, but will do. i have a 3800+ max, and im waiting for Arctic cooler 64 heatpipe to come into stock then i will oc properly becoz this time i didnt really stress it either becoz my idle temps have gone down to about 30-33 and load even goes up to 50*c! sumtimes when running p95, on stock settings and cooler that is so i can really wait to get a new cooler.

12. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

i didnt really bother overclocking yet but when i did i probably wudve eventually figured out that lowering the ht wud make it work but that wudve been eventually, guess wat, i set it to 3 and even at 230fsb, it works and i tried switching the computer off and several times, switching it on and not a hitch, it worked fine, thx willz

13. Willz

Np dude, i had the same problems with my system, i wondered why it kept freezing in bios, i had to use jumper to reset bios each time, all because of HT, its because the HT is going over 2ghz, 230 x 5 x 2 = 2.3ghz, my HT is running at 1.5ghz, 254 x 3 x 2, damnd thing goes over 2ghz by 32mhz when on 4x, i bet the HT been lower has a little performance hit.

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Wow, this is make me realize the full extent of how craptastic my new motherboard actually is for overclocking. I don't even have the ability to change HT frequencies and things like CAS latency, just core clock and voltages. Bit of a rip but but it's still the video card that's holding me back anyway.
    To be honest UnSeEn I'd just keep it where it is. In my opinion it's only really worth OCing if you actually need it. Oblivion and Ghost Recon now run great thanks to the new drivers but those games are both going to be more video intensive. When a new crop of games hits us I could see upping it a bit if you're having trouble but since this is you're new computer and you, and your parents hard earned money invested in it I'd leave it as is for now. Just my thinking.

15. Willz

i was going to say, my mobo is the same as yours K8NSC, untill i seen that the C is missing.

My mobo must be ace for overclocking, i can tweak every setting for the memory, and adjust all voltages too, was a bargin i think for £50.

I would think that the 3500+ would be able to overclock alot higher than that and still be at a safe temperature.

16. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah I was actually meaning to update that for awhile. My last motherboard did have some good feature sets and I could tweak pretty much everything you'd hope for. Unfortunately it refused to actually overclock for some reason, I have no clue why. This time around I actually have a GA-K8U-939 (the ULi chipset) and it's horrid as far as features go when it comes down to it but at least I got somewhere with it.

17. Willz

So you specs in your my computer aint exatly the same?

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Just a new mobo and hard drive. I'll change them right now, thanks for the reminder:)

19. Willz

Np :), so your mobo used to be exatly like mine? :p

20. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

My overclock is from 2.6GHz to 3.14Ghz with the CPU running @ 28*C idle :D

Granted I only have a Celeron but it's still nice to know I can keep things cool whilst still bumping the speeds up.