reformatting old ATA133

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG, May 26, 2006.

1. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

wats up again guys? haha

well

i never took time to learn about hard drives much and found it today to come back and bite me in the a** haha

I'm putting together a pc for my mom and we want to use her old 40gb ata133 drive, well it has a windows me OS set up on it and has some info, and i wanted to reformat it, well i hooked it up to my computer but it wont boot up with it, or even notice the HD, any other way i can reformat it?

the other computer passes bios, shows the me entrance screen and simply stops there

(sigh) lmao i hate millenium

2. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

it seems the thread didnt show on the new posts

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Why didn't you fdisk/format in the old computer ? How did you hook it up to your computer ? If you hooked it to your computer,In order for it to boot it has to be set as Master.. Plus What OS are you going to install ? You will need a Boot disk with CD support on on any OS you install. What kind of computer is it?
    We need more info...

4. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

haha the reformat option didnt work on the old computer, and the new one is supposed to solely use the 40gb ata, i hooked it up to my computer you would hook up any hard drive

in a slave mode, i still want my computer to boot from its XP os, the drive i want to reformat has Me on it but i want to reformat it through my working computer and later on install XP onit haha

so hows HF doin?
    everytime i come back i see we got new active members haha

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

You have too use the other computer not yours, What ever OS you are going
    to install will have to be on the other computer because it is going to set up all the drivers and CD's and floppy for that computer Not yours. If you try to set up
    that hard drive on your computer and put it into the other,It won't boot right.
    Why won't it work right in the other computer? Do you have a windows and Me boot disk with CD support ? What OS are you planing to install on this Hard drive?

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

why can't you just install XP with the HDD in its your moms original pc

7. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

thats the whole reason im confused nothing will go on it,

it doesnt allow any other boot up but through that hard drive no floppy no cd

ive changed the boot up menu in the bios to specifically start with floppy or cd and that wont work either, I know alot over computers (thanksin part to my HF races with exfoliate and others haha) but this is seriously confusing

id say maybe the drive is corrupted, but that would make no sense as it was working perfectly with the other computer i took it out of

but dont worry i got time, after all its my moms pc not mine haha ;) lmao

8. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Ok! lets start all over again ! Tell us about you moms computer ?? What kind is
    it ? Did it run with Win/Me ... What does it do when you start it ? Does it even
    get to that point? Once again ,(what is it that you want to do) What OS
    do you want to install in you Moms Computer? It would help to know your
    moms Specks of this computer.. Brand/ Processor/Memory ...
    And the hard drive is a 40 gb..

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

why did you remove the 40Gb drive from your moms pc ?

it sounds as though it could have bad sectors
    go to the manufacturers website and download LLF utilities

10. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

(deep breath)

all right, my mom had an old computer (around 5 years) and it ran windows me, but she wanted a better computer now so i told her to buy the parts and id put it together, however i told her she can run her old cdrw and dvdrom in the new comp as well as the old hard drive

now i know that these parts are compatible with the motherboard

the problem is that i can't reformat the old hard drive in the new computer set up, and running a windows boot up disk in the Cd drive after selecting it as the 1st priority in boot up just gives me different errors, im asking if theres any way i can get around any of this or if theres a way through bios or dos to reformat a hard drive or get my XP boot up disk to work

this is one of the most confusing threads in HF history lmao

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Are you sure the CD ROM drive is still good?

12. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

You have winXP, right! Plug that HDD in your computer and look into device manager. You will see that drive on the right hand side bottom. Just right click and initialise that drive. Now you can see that drive with all your other drives. Just format it then.

If you get any error, type that error and I will see then.