Remote administration

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Crusha19, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Crusha19

Crusha19 Aspiring Poker Player

I was wondering how to set up remote administration on a PC. My grandparents are not very good with computers so i would like to set something up so that i could run the spyware checks, etc. from my computer. Both computers are running XP SP2. Any help would be appreciated.

2. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

if it is networked, you can use remote desktop connection. go to start->all programs->accessories->communications->remote desktop connection. simply type in your grandparents' computer name and it will log on to their computer. type in their username or password then you will see in your computer what's in their computer. as long as the programs are installed in their computer, you can use that and administrate your grandparents' computer from your computer.

good luck

3. Crusha19

The computers are not networked together, I was wondering if it was possible to do it via the internet? Or is it the same thing? Sorry, I have never done this before.

4. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

nope it's not possible... and if there is a way, isn't kind of like hacking? (maybe hwf should put a category for hacking:p )

5. Addis

Addis The King

Yes it is possible.

The computer name also means computer IP address. You need to find their IP address, and then log onto their computer with a username and password. I've done it before and it works.

6. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Crusha19, I know exactly what you are looking for :)

I administer my Dad's computer from my house using a free service called LogMeIn

Basically, your Grandparents will need to install some software on their computer. Then you can log in to their computer from your web browser and see their desktop. You can do whatever you like to their computer from your own computer :)

7. Crusha19

Cool thanks guys I will try one or both of those. But are they secure?

8. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Yeah, it's pretty secure as far as I can tell.

Not only do you have to log in via the website, but you have to log in your computer as well (using a user account actually stored on the remote computer).

9. Crusha19

one more quick question:

Will this work if one (or both) computer(s) is behind a router?

10. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Yes it will work behind a router.