Repositioning some of the stuff to gain space - Need HELP

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by TheGrunger, Jan 23, 2010.

1. TheGrunger

TheGrunger Geek Trainee

First let me say that I don't have much knowledge about PC hardware, so I'd like to know every detail. But I have enough experience with similar stuff to know how to approach these things.

My problem is that I'd like to replace my ATI Radeon HD 4870X2's stock cooler with Accelero XTREME 4870X2 and after doing this, the whole video card will be one inch longer (see this, at the bottom of the page). But my case is assembled in a way that this extra inch isn't available, so I'd have to reposition some of the stuff - see these pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd like to move the thing that I think it's hard drive into the box with dvd-rom (blue). Can I even somehow mount the little box with hard drive (green) itself into the dvd-rom box so that I don't have to remove hard drive?
    The middle box (red one) can also be removed, because it's completely empty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is another problem that I have. I expect the card to be at least a little bit thicker with new cooler, but there are cables directly under the card. I want to move these cables to a lower section.

I hope someone can explain me in details how to do all this.

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Welcome to HWF :)

We'll start with the easy one, moving the cable to a lower position. The cables below the graphics card are connected to the metal eSATA connector (the one you marked as green in the last image). This one can be removed by unscrewing the screw on the side (you might need to do something with those green plastic pieces to unlock the metal plates, as it's a semi-screwless design). Replace it with one of the plates below the graphics card (I'd suggest as low as possible), and put that specific metal plate at the previous location of that eSATA connector (switching places).

Now about that extra inch. That's a tricky one. You can put your hard drive in the large drive bay, but you need to remove the other 2 compartments. If you're able to remove the front of the case (where the buttons and LEDs are), you might be able to unscrew those 2 compartments. But if these are welded to the case, your options are going to be limited.

3. TheGrunger

TheGrunger Geek Trainee

Thanks for the reply, I lowered the cables successfully!

But I can't remove the front of the case. The main part of the front is made from plastic, so there might be a special way of "unlocking it", like with those green things at the back of the case. What should I look for?
    If the front can't be removed, is there any other way of gaining that extra inch?

4. TheGrunger

TheGrunger Geek Trainee

I removed the front panel, there was indeed a special way of unlocking it. But I don't know if I'll be able to remove compartments, because they are mounted with special bolts. I'm sure that these bolts are typical type for PC cases, but I don't even know what is the English word for them so I can't find any instructions about removing them.

Front:
    [​IMG]

Back:
    [​IMG]

What are these bolts called? Is it possible to remove them?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I searched a bit for anything about my PC case and found out that one of the features is "Tool-free drive bays and removable HDD cage" (Enermax ECA3050 Chakra series). I guess that means that the compartment with hard drive can be removed. But it makes me worried that the empty middle compartment can't be removed.

5. Fort384

Fort384 Geek Trainee

They look like rivets, not bolts... you would have to cut them.

6. TheGrunger

TheGrunger Geek Trainee

I was afraid of that. Is there any "safe" way to do this or do I have to remove all the components before doing so? The compartment will be removed permanently, so it isn't a big deal if holes are damaged after the process.

7. Fort384

Fort384 Geek Trainee

I don't know that you would have to remove everything.... if it looks like you can just cut a couple rivets at the front and get the box to come out, you could just take a dremel tool and grind off the rivet heads. Of course, I would get the hard drive out of the way before you do that.

8. TheGrunger

TheGrunger Geek Trainee

I tried with dremel tool, but it doesn't do anything. I'll try again later with different bits (burrs).

But I managed to remove compartment with the hard drive. Can I just put this compartment into the drive bay without screwing it on? I'd rather attach it to the drive bay, but the problem is that drive bay is a bit wider than hard drive compartment and there are no holes for screws in appropriate places. Attaching hard drive itself to the drive bay without its compartment would be even more difficult if not impossible, so I'd rather just leave it in its compartment.

EDIT: I think I'll have to buy a new case. I removed two of the rivets and it didn't do anything, the compartment is still attached in that same place like it would be glued together - it seems like it's welded together beneath. Is this even possible?