restore default Windows XP Fonts!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Bradster, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Bradster

Bradster Geek Trainee

Ok so I downloaded a massive font pack, about 5000 to be precise.

I realised my windows programs which uses the fonts such as Microsoft Office Application, Photoshop, Dreamweave were being really slow when going to the font drop down menu. So I decided to delete all the fonts directory thinking the original fonts would stay.

They havn't! Apart from a select few. How would I go about reinstalling my fonts directory, I would use google but all the writing is unreadable as it requires a font I do not have.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Windows XP Fonts!

I think windows repair might restore the default fonts. Heres what MS suggests How To Install or Remove a Font in Windows

Another option is if you have a second pc or know someone get them to send you the font files from their font directory.

Another option is download Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

Once installed, run it. Theres a option in the bottom left corner click it and then select repair fonts folder, now I'm not sure if it replaces the default fonts but worth a try.

3. Bradster

Bradster Geek Trainee

Ok well I had a read of the PowerToys and couldn't find anything that would help me with my dilema. Although..

I read the MS website in the first link and I didn't realise there was a repair option on the Windows CD, so I guess I'll try that. Give me luck :p.

Thanks for your help Sniper, REP POINT!

4. Bradster

Bradster Geek Trainee

Update
    I tried to repair windows and it seemed to work but after the first restart I kept getting blue screen erros after the Windows Logo came up and was loading.

So after repairing again and still not working I eventually convinced myself that a full reformat of the drive and re-instillation of Windows was the only option. :( .

I am sure there was another way around it, but did not seem to find it.