Reviving Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Xarzu, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Xarzu

Xarzu Geek Trainee

I own an old computer. It is a 2001 Sony Viao, that I have mentioned in other discusssion threads.

I need to re-install the OS on a new hard drive. The computer came with 3 discs. One is called "System Restore" one is "Software Restore" and the third is called 'Drivers Restore".

I have the BIOS set so that the first in the order that the system looks for the OS to boot from is the CD ROM drive. And yet using the "Sony System Restore" disk fails and it goes onto the C: drive.

Any suggestions?

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

I think that you have to press any key to boot from cd, otherwise it'll just skip and go to c:/ ; a appropriate message is displayed during bootup when the system starts to check out the booting sequence. Is the drive spinning up the CD when the computer starts?

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Try disabling all boot devices other than the CD-ROM!

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

In the bio's , If the CD is set at number 1 to boot first it should just automatic startup and boot from cd, unless the cd is damage.. Do you have a XP setup disk ?

5. Cena123

Cena123 Guest

The most common editions of the operating system were Windows XP Home Edition, which was targeted at home users, and Windows XP Professional, which offered additional features such as support for Windows Server domains and two physical processors, and was targeted at power users, business and enterprise clients. Windows XP Media Center Edition has additional multimedia features enhancing the ability to record and watch TV shows, view DVD movies, and listen to music.Windows 7 Family

6. acmz123

acmz123 Geek Trainee

Help!!!My computer runs quite slow recently, and open a web page takes me about 5 minutes or even prove no responding at last, which drives me crazy. I really need an expert help me to solve my problem, thanks a lot!!!

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

First you really should start your own post, And not hijack someones else post.. (do you have any cleaners ?) What is this machine running @ ?How much ram do you have ?

8. gibsswron

gibsswron Geek Trainee

This install kit is intended to run on the Microsoft Windows Vista platform. It might work on other later versions as well, but this is more by accident rather than design. The intention of this kit is to provide WinFile.exe for use on the Windows Vista operating system, with basal modifications appropriate to get it working. WinFile was produced by Microsoft but targeted for a different version of the operating system.