router limiting bandwidth on its own ?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Swansen, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

out of no where my D-Link Gamerlounge just started limiting me to 700kbps.... I haven't checked to see if the pretend QoS service is doing something weird or what is going on, but i just wanted some opinions, or if you think the router is dieing.

2. Osirus

Osirus Geek Trainee

Let me guess...

You just upgraded your firmware right? If so you need to see the following threads.

D-Link Banning Users and Deleting Posts Critical Of D-Link - dslreports.com

DGL-4500 Official Firmware 1.21 Released - dslreports.com

ATTEN: ALL D-LINK OWNERS WITH FIRMWARE PROBLEMS - If you are an owner of a D-link product with hardware/firmware problems that are still unresolved despite all your efforts to have them resolve them or if you have recently upgraded your firmware only

If you have upgraded to the latest firmware which is 1.21b and you having these problems you are sunk and need to follow the third links instructions to get either your money back or your router replaced. Attempting to go through D-link's support will do nothing but get you frustrated. Look at all the posters on those threads...the posts don't lie.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Yup, same old same old. That's exactly why I'm using a PC running FreeBSD as my router, with a DD-WRT flashed WRT54GL behind it for wifi. I don't trust little plastic routers or the companies who make them. They are designed to be throw-aways with short term support.

4. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

i honestly have no idea right now, my ISP was being horrible.. still is slightly, but its still may be a router issue.. i have no idea right now. ANYWAYS, no, well, maybe. My firmware is from 2007, so unless the problem stems that far back??

If i had the dollars to build a machine dedicated to routing two machines and a PS3 i would, but that wouldn't be very frugal right now.

5. Anti-Trend

Mine's a dual-P3 my employers were throwing out, so I got it for free. You really don't need much for small network routing; mine's actually overkill. A few hundred megahertz and 128mb+ with a 512mb flash drive would be plenty. You can usually get machines like that for free when they won't run Windows anymore.

6. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

well... router is definitely compounding the issue non the less. It seems that when it undergoes heavy traffic it starts limiting bandwidth...

Well, i think i'd have trouble finding a dual socket machine, but i don't really come across free hardware often at all... But i'll keep that in mind in case i come across an old P4 or athlon XP machine. Looked very briefly into using an old linksys like you mentioned, seemed to be fairly straight forward. Is there other ways to add ports to a routing machine??

7. Anti-Trend

Of course, just add more NICs. You can get decent Intel Pro NICs for almost nothing from OEM suppliers, even multi-port NICs. All the NICs in my current firewall are single-port PCI NICs. I have 5 in mine: WAN, WAN2, DMZ, WLAN, and LAN.

8. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Have a good website for multi-port nics??? Cheapest one i have found is like $130. On a side note, there is one positive that came out of this mess, i can use that router as a switch for capping bandwidth of the others machines in the house. :D

9. Anti-Trend

Just do a Google or Amazon search for "dual intel nic", you'll find plenty for around $50. But you don't need dual port NICs to make a router unless you're very low on PCI slots. All of mine are single-port, which are about $5-10 a piece.

10. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

What do you use for a modem? Just out of curiosity?

11. Anti-Trend

I've got a Connexant-chipset generic bridge for ADSL, and a Motorola Surfboard bridge for the cable.

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

please excuse me if i'm wrong (again) but arn't connexant modems crappy Win-modems ?

13. Anti-Trend

Hahaha, no, Connexant is a company that makes chipsets. Network, VIVO, audio, etc. Some Winmodems back in the day used Connexant audio cards as a modem, but this is an external ADSL bridge. It's not even a modem in the truest sense of the word, but a bridge.

14. donkey42

donkey42 plank

so it's my stupid memory[ot]donkey bangs his head against the wall, cos it's been a while since he banged his head on the wall cos this particular part of the wall is healing itself[/ot]

Edit: and do my own reseach to find out exactly what my stupid memory remembers and what is accurate today :doh:

15. macbeton

macbeton Guest

When the little plastic router is fresh from factory - it is good. The problem is that consumers want everything cheaper and cheaper and dumb factory managers are pushing the engineers to design a cheaper product (or be fired). So the first thing to save some cents is the cooling. But without a radiator (or how it is called in english?) the routers usually start to break down after the warranty has ended. Sad but true. I have 2 Speedtouch 546 which are heating till 70 degrees C and cannot work in routermode anymore, some D-Link 804 which stopped working at all or limitings speeds to 8xx Kbps. One Edimax and even one Linksys. All have the same problem - overheating. Now I open them up right after buying and put a heatsink/radiator (which is the right word in english?) on.